Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Did I mess up my Form 1?

So I was getting ready to figure out the engraving process for my AR-15 lower that I'm making into an SBR. I was curious about what actually needed engraved, and I saw a lot about name and city, state. I was looking for info on whether on I needed my middle name, and people kept referring back to the Form 1, specifically 4h.

Then I looked at the sticky here about Form 1, and there 4h was filled out with name and city, state. So I looked at a copy of the Form 1 I filled out, and I did not put that. My lower already has "2001 Limited Edition AR15.com 169 of 1000" laser engraved on it. So that's what I put in 4h.

So did I mess up my Form 1? Or is it okay the way it is and I don't need to engrave it? Or is it okay the way it is but I do need to engrave it?

Thanks.

Default Re: Did I mess up my Form 1?

It will most likely get kicked back to you. You white out the mistake and rewrite the right info. Initial it and send it back. You won't even lose your place in line.

(Armstrong County)

You will be perfectly fine.
    I have never added my engraved information to 4h.
    I only use that for importation information or out of country manufacture information.

Since you are the manufacture of an SBR, your information that is engraved is already noted on 3b.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Allegheny County)

You'll be fine, you did nothing wrong at all.

Generally though I advise my customers to never put anything in 4h. When dealing with title 2 firearm markings, as a rule, the name & address of the maker (you or your trust or corp), make, model, sn, and caliber of the weapon must always be there along with anything you were to put in 4h. There are marking allowances for title 1 guns that don't apply to title 2 but bottom line is, once you put something in that block it MUST be on the gun.

I've seen numerous people put things in 4h like:
    "The Doctor John Horatio Putitupinerski Revocable Living Trust, LLC, Inc Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania"

The problem is that whie the trust may technically be the John etc etc RLT the actual legal name of the trust may just be "Dr. JHP Trust" and because "recognized postal abbreviations" are permitted the address could be shortened to Pittsburgh (or even Pgh), PA. thereby making the required engraving much less obtrusive. Again though, once it's noted in 4h it must be verbatim. This is also why I tell people to make their trust names as short as possible within reason.

(Chester County)

Okay thanks! I figured I'd probably be okay. I just put that info there because reading it that's what made sense. I'll update this post when I found out what happens for posterity.

(Chester County)

Just to follow up, my Form 1 was approved without any problems (well I forgot to put the Sheriffs name and title because the Deputy Sheriff signed it, but that as separate from this post.)

(Lancaster County)

Congrats on your approval! When did you send your paper work and when did you get approved

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by homedefender View Post
    Congrats on your approval! When did you send your paper work and when did you get approved
    July 23rdish and January 7thish
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by homedefender View Post
    Thanks! Sent it in Feb 11, 2013, received Dec 10, 2013. It would've been Nov 14, 2013 except for a different mistake (go figure).