Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default WTK: RIFLE BROKEN DOWN - LOADED MAGS OK?

It is my understanding that you cannot legally carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle. You also cannot carry a rifle AND loaded mags in your vehicle. There may be an exception for travel to the range, but this question is not related to that...Can you have loaded mags for the weapon in your vehicle IF the rifle is broken down? Can you legally carry a rifle in covert style case, if it is disassembled, and also have loaded mags as well?

Reason I ask is that I recently attended a seminar at which a cop spoke regarding PA gun laws, and he stated rifle and loaded mags in vehicle is a NO-NO.
    Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; July 17th, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

(Venango County)

Default Re: WTK: RIFLE BROKEN DOWN - LOADED MAGS OK?

I always have loaded magazines in my car, with the assembled rifle. The rifle stays in it's case, and the mags are in the range bag in the back seat.

It is my understanding that the magazines just can't be with the rifle. Or shells with the shotgun, etc etc.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Montgomery County)

as far as i know, and practice, is that any serialized receiver is a firearm.

(Delaware County)

Philly and during a state of emergency, you need a LTCF for long guns in vehicle.
    Long guns must always be unloaded

Unloaded for long guns means no rounds in chamber
    No loaded mags inserted in gun
    Loaded mags need to be separate from gun
    Loaded mag in same bag but different container of same bag is ok
    Gun doesn't need to be broken down
    Loose ammo can be with gun, even duct taped to it
    Location in vehicle is irrelevant

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Philly and during a state of emergency, you need a LTCF for long guns in vehicle.
    Long guns must always be unloaded

Unloaded for long guns means no rounds in chamber
    No loaded mags inserted in gun
    Loaded mags need to be separate from gun
    Loaded mag in same bag but different container of same bag is ok
    Gun doesn't need to be broken down
    Loose ammo can be with gun, even duct taped to it
    Location in vehicle is irrelevant
    ^^ this is what I've always known.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine View Post
    as far as i know, and practice, is that any serialized receiver is a firearm.
    Not in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Better check what the definition of a firearm is!

CL

(Jefferson County)

A similar question was asked a few weeks ago about an AR7...

Having a loaded mag in the gun would constitution a loaded weapon regardless as to whether the gun is assembled.

Just keep the loaded magazine in a separate container and you wont have to worry about spending 90 days in jail, a fine, court costs, and losing the gun to seizure.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Not in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Better check what the definition of a firearm is!

CL
    § 6102. Definitions
    “Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    “Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

§ 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms
    (a) General rule.-- Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    (b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia
    No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition
    Would the "Impact/Dust Cover" for Magpul PMAGS qualify for the above?

PMAG® Impact/Dust Cover – GEN M2 MOE®, 3 Pack
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion