Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Knife carry in Philadelphia

I'm a student at Drexel University, and for a majority of my freshman year i've been carrying around a fixed blade Buck knife on my belt since I Was mugged after my first week of moving there. I just recently realized how "illegal" it is to carry any sort of knife around unless it's directly related to my work. I do, however, volunteer at Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) which takes care of pets that need to be put up for adoption; working at this place requires me to have a knife on my person in case I need it to cut some rope or open cans for food, sometimes even opening boxes. So my question is, when is it okay to carry for me? I've always had my knife around and feel naked without one, especially in a place like Philly.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Knife carry in Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Taboggan View Post
    I'm a student at Drexel University, and for a majority of my freshman year i've been carrying around a fixed blade Buck knife on my belt since I Was mugged after my first week of moving there. I just recently realized how "illegal" it is to carry any sort of knife around unless it's directly related to my work. I do, however, volunteer at Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) which takes care of pets that need to be put up for adoption; working at this place requires me to have a knife on my person in case I need it to cut some rope or open cans for food, sometimes even opening boxes. So my question is, when is it okay to carry for me? I've always had my knife around and feel naked without one, especially in a place like Philly.
    My understanding is only when your going to from work. In my experience tough, Most cops were cool about knifes and I've never seen or heard of this ordinace enforced. I was stopped once when I was 17 and when asked if I had anything illegal in my vehicle I told him I had a knife and the cops exact words were "I don't care about that". Since then I usually carry a knife with me.

In all honesty tough there is a difference from carrying around a multi-tool or folder and a fixed blade buck knife. If your on way to PAWS and get stopped with a 3 1/2 inch folder I think you'll get a little more leeway then if you had a fixed blade walking around Drexel at night.

That said if I were you I would suggest getting a decent folder.

I also found this regarding Drexel's Weapons Regulations:

No student, faculty, staff or visitor shall keep, use, possess, display or transport any rifles, shotguns, handguns, pellet or BB guns, dangerous knives, billy clubs, makeshift weapons, martial arts weapons or any other lethal or dangerous devices capable of casting a projectile by air, gas, explosion, or mechanical means on any property or in any building owned or operated by the University, or in any vehicle on campus. Realistic facsimiles of weapons are also specifically not allowed.

That being said there are some self defense options for you:

Here's a Kimber Pepper Blaster:http://www.amazon.com/Kimber-LA98002...pepper+blaster

It confirms to Drexel's weapons policy and you'll be fine by city and state law. I carry one in my truck visor.

holster for it: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/767...-leather-brown

Also maybe a "trinket" on your key ring will help you feel safer. Turn your keys into a flail or use the kubaton itself: http://www.budk.com/product/Black-Al...ng/158977.uts?

Maybe a tactical pen. No one will give that a second look. http://knives.budk.com/search?p=Q&sr...iew=grid&srt=0
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; July 16th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Lucky for me, I just picked up a Ka-Bar Warthog serrated edge Tanto style folding knife. But i'll definitely drop by my Ranger Surplus to pick up a Kubaton or tactical pen.

(Cambria County)

I was carrying a kubutan on my key chain until my wife and all of our friends gave me crap about it being an anal toy....now just my sidearm, neck knife, multitool, and occasionally OC spray

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    My understanding is only when your going to from work.....
    Hah if only they were that forgiving.
    Philadelphia Code §10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places.

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.
    So legally you can only have a "cutting weapon" while using it for work not carrying it to/from.