Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default high end gun or common pistol for OC

I don't typically OC much.

I do wonder though....... Should I carry one of my glocks or my hard chromed HK p7m8 when I do OC?

I appreciate all the OC'rs carrying the fancy Kimbers and the like. It's like dressing up to go out on the town. I get it.

I just worry that my prized HK may get detained, scratched or worse if I get LEO'ed.

On the other hand, it seems a shame to conceal some of these beautiful pieces of art under a shirt.

Any thoughts?
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: high end gun or common pistol for OC

Depends on your goal. Bling and attention or reliable personal protection. What do you most often train with?

(Chester County)

I often carry one of my HK P7's, but they are the original factory blue, not hard chrome. They are a great CCW pistol. Carry what you shoot best. If you are involved in even a "good shoot", the detaining of your weapon will be the absolute least of your problems.

(Luzerne County)

Just to clarify...

The issue is getting the pistol taken and possibly damaged by LEO.

I shoot both well.....

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Just to clarify...

The issue is getting the pistol taken and possibly damaged by LEO.

I shoot both well.....
    Again, that will be the least of your worries compared to the potential thousands, tens of thousand dollars or more you may have to spend in legal fees. Worrying about a $1K pistol being damaged is about 100th down the list of issues if you have to use it.

(Chester County)

Hmmmm.... I can see the headlines in Glamour Magazine now "Handguns as fashion accessories. The Perfect Pistol for the Perfect Evening"

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    Again, that will be the least of your worries compared to the potential thousands, tens of thousand dollars or more you may have to spend in legal fees. Worrying about a $1K pistol being damaged is about 100th down the list of issues if you have to use it.
    Getting my pistol damaged or taken would be tops on my list if I didn't do anything wrong........

OK.... I'm talking about a rouge LEO tossing my HK on the hood of his car or keeping it until I show up at the station with a purchase receipt, etc.

I'm not talking about getting into a shootout or doing something that would get me arrested. I'm talking about temporary or long term confiscation leading up to possible pistol damage. I have heard the story that it can cost more to get a gun back then it's worth. Even a letter from an attorney can cost more than some guns.

So, do OC folks carry cheaper guns just in case that happens?

Also, it looks like I posted this in the wrong forum- can it be moved to OC?

Smile Re: high end gun or common pistol for OC

I think George Zimmerman could answer this question as his lower priced Kel-Tec PF-9 was able to save his life !,Does not mean that a Jiminez,Davis,or Armscor revolver could attest to the same protection.Side note I ccw Kel-tec in summer and Glock 19 in Winter.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Any thoughts?
    I basically OC everywhere (except at work). I own exactly 1 firearm, a blued Taurus PT-1911 that I bought in January, so there is no deciding which one to carry on any given day. I mostly carry in a super tuck clone, so there is already noticable holster wear around the slide from the Kydex and near the muzzle from riding between my pants and underwear. I do not worry about wear from carrying (badge of honor, right?), and as for anything po-po might do to it - it's a 1911, it'll still do what I ask it regardless of how it looks. Besides, I could always make another one that looks just like it...

My 2¢

(York County)

I OC almost 100% of the time but my opinion applies to CC also. If you are worried about a gun being scratched then you should not be carrying it, it will get scratched and wore. Just training with it will put wear marks on it, things like racking the slide on your holster and other things you should practice will put wear marks. If you OC remember that your gun will be rained and snowed on, bump into things, even if you are careful eventually you will slam it into something or someone will slam a cart or something into you. Maybe you will slip in an icy parking lot and fall onto your gun scratching it on the blacktop, I have personally had all that stuff happen to me over seven years of oc'ing. I carried a Glock up until about six months ago when I switched to a FN Five Seven, that is not a low end firearm and you can already tell that it is my carry gun. If you want your gun to look brand new then keep it in the safe and not on your belt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast