Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: 2013 Patrol Rifle Challenge

This thread, and the match it discusses, gets a lot of views-responses. Is there a big demand for carbines only action matches?

I ask because we are running a 2-gun (rifle-pistol) match at Mifflin Co Sportsmen (Lewistown), Nov 8th. The match filled nicely last year and is filling OK now, but hardly any reply's either year to the announcement?

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    This thread, and the match it discusses, gets a lot of views-responses. Is there a big demand for carbines only action matches?

I ask because we are running a 2-gun (rifle-pistol) match at Mifflin Co Sportsmen (Lewistown), Nov 8th. The match filled nicely last year and is filling OK now, but hardly any reply's either year to the announcement?
    I think there might be a demand for it. From what I have seen some of the people that might shoot pistol matches have no interest in a tactical IDPA style carbine match and vice versa.

Doesn't look like the 2014 Patrol Rifle Challenge is going to happen.

(Beaver County)

There is a demand for it, with inquiries alone we could have a decent turnout. Issue is with timing, work, and life stuff. A smaller less formal carbine thing may happen soon but that's up in the air.

Anyone interested in a winter match?

(Perry County)

I am reluctant to "hi-jack" this thread, but think it is generally interesting to competitive shooters to discuss what is best in a "carbine" match. I' shot the Maybery Md Carbine match twice and love it. Although I haven't done the Mogadishu Mile, I hear nothing but rave reviews, and the Patrol Rifle match seems to draw a lot of interest. So what do shooters want in a carbine match? Long shots, movement, fast and up close trigger pulling? Thoughts?

(Washington County)

I'm interested in any shoot in SW PA. I liked this patrol rifle challenge because it was multiple bays, with very difference scenarios, from 3 to 100+ yards testing a lot of different skills. The crowd size was reasonable so we could run through twice with a second weapon if we wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by BVRPC View Post
    There is a demand for it, with inquiries alone we could have a decent turnout. Issue is with timing, work, and life stuff. A smaller less formal carbine thing may happen soon but that's up in the air.

Bring it on! Me and my 4 - 6 shooting buddies would probably be there.

I am reluctant to "hi-jack" this thread, but think it is generally interesting to competitive shooters to discuss what is best in a "carbine" match. I' shot the Maybery Md Carbine match twice and love it. Although I haven't done the Mogadishu Mile, I hear nothing but rave reviews, and the Patrol Rifle match seems to draw a lot of interest. So what do shooters want in a carbine match? Long shots, movement, fast and up close trigger pulling? Thoughts?
    I think a good carbine shooter needs to be able to handle targets at point blank range out to ranges that push the limitations of their sight system. Movement adds a nice degree of challenge separating the stand still and shoot guys from the run and gun guys. Different positions should be required, shooting under things from awkward positions, etc. Mag changes as well. Some shoots I go to achieve this through high round count but I think requiring tactical reloads between shooting positions is a better theory. The added requirement of a heavy ruck is great and again separates the plinkers to those that can shoot with added stress and distraction. On a controlled range for the sake of fun I have been physically pushed/tussled, screamed at, and had water thrown on me to make a shoot more interesting (all done in a safe manner, ie before unholstering, etc) and that is when you find out if you can load and make ready or hit targets under stress. Just food for thought.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Tioga County)

I think all you need is an IDPA style match with IDPA type stages just that you extend the distances some. The Patrol Rifle Challenge worked because it keep things simple in that fashion.

In contrast I have looked at 3 gun or 2 gun, but in a lot of that competition you end up using gear you'd never use in the real world(if it came to WROL or a defensive scenario). Just of what I have seen of it, you've got competitors tooled up with a belt load of speedy mag and shotshell holders using multiple tweaked guns on a stage, running into action rather than adopting a defensive stance and then blasting through stages attacking the Mongolian horde of cardboard targets like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a 1980's action film like Commando. Those comps seem to emphasize time over accuracy and I think a dynamic rifle match should do the opposite. Time means nothing if you can't hit your targets.

Fun I am sure, but for an average joe that has a regular AK, AR or other battle rifle and that just wants to test out some rifle shooting skills, those competitions are probably a bit much. A lot of guys don't have Geissele triggers, match barrels, match ammo and all the rest.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by BVRPC View Post
    Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    I'm interested in any shoot in SW PA. I liked this patrol rifle challenge because it was multiple bays, with very difference scenarios, from 3 to 100+ yards testing a lot of different skills. The crowd size was reasonable so we could run through twice with a second weapon if we wanted to.

Bring it on! Me and my 4 - 6 shooting buddies would probably be there.

I think a good carbine shooter needs to be able to handle targets at point blank range out to ranges that push the limitations of their sight system. Movement adds a nice degree of challenge separating the stand still and shoot guys from the run and gun guys. Different positions should be required, shooting under things from awkward positions, etc. Mag changes as well. Some shoots I go to achieve this through high round count but I think requiring tactical reloads between shooting positions is a better theory. The added requirement of a heavy ruck is great and again separates the plinkers to those that can shoot with added stress and distraction. On a controlled range for the sake of fun I have been physically pushed/tussled, screamed at, and had water thrown on me to make a shoot more interesting (all done in a safe manner, ie before unholstering, etc) and that is when you find out if you can load and make ready or hit targets under stress. Just food for thought.
    +1 to everything said above.

I for one will be disappointed if the Patrol Rifle Challenge doesn't end up happening this year. I had never even heard of the other location and shoot mentioned earlier in the thread until now. Where is it?

To me, BVRPC is a convenient location for those like myself who are unfortunately stuck living in the city/close to the general Pittsburgh area.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreOp4 View Post
    +1 to everything said above.

I for one will be disappointed if the Patrol Rifle Challenge doesn't end up happening this year. I had never even heard of the other location and shoot mentioned earlier in the thread until now. Where is it?

To me, BVRPC is a convenient location for those like myself who are unfortunately stuck living in the city/close to the general Pittsburgh area.

Come to Clairton the first Sunday of the month for your 3 gun -ish action shoot fix!
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; September 14th, 2014 at 08:28 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Come to Clairton the first Sunday of the month for your 3 gun -ish action shoot fix!
    Unfortunately this is the same weekend of PMSC's USPSA Match... now that Mcdonald stopped having shoots I wonder if one of the clubs (PMSC and Clairton) could switch weekends. I'd love to attend both but there simply aren't enough close USPSA matches to skip PMSCs.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast