Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Heritage Rough Rider 22lr

I've been borrowing my FIL 1952 S&W 22 revolver to teach the kids. Nice gun shoots well.

I've been looking to purchase a 22 to get the kids out more. I looked at the Rough Rider and was wondering if anybody here has one or had one and if they could shed some light on the pros and cons of it.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Heritage Rough Rider 22lr

Ive shot one, for the money they are more then fine. Goes bang every time. Finish is a little eh...and some of the fit and finish is ehh.. But they work. I looked at one and ended up with a Ruger single six for 100 bucks more, and not looking back.

(York County)

How long have you had your single six?
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

(Berks County)

I have a Heritage RR, got it for $120 new. Use it trapping, and plinking. Never a failure (ourside of ammo issues), and it shoots well. Fit and finish isn't great, but it was the price of a nice dinner out with the wife, what did I expect?

I have had my heritage Rough Rider for at least 15 years I have never had a problem with it it also came with a 22 magnum cylinder. I shoot it quite a bit in a 22 pistol league at the gun range I shoot against buckmarks and model 41 and all sorts of hi tech target pistols using optics and I hold my own I am better than at least 80 percent of the people in the league. I managed to put all 50 shots in the X ring of a human silhouette at 50 feet for a perfect score on one occasion. I would have to say my only complaint would be that the sites take a bit of getting used to. other than that for $120 pistol you can't go wrong ( 1990s prices)
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition

(Dauphin County)

I got one about a year ago 22lr/22mag. I cant complain a bit. As already mentioned the finish is cheap and the fit is a bit off if you really give it a look over but the mechanics of the gun is all there man. That's all that matters to me for that price. Reliability is great. Shoots the 22 shorts as well. Get one. You should always use hearing protection but I don't when shooting 22lr. I then switch to 22 mag and forgot to put ear plugs in. Don't do that trust me

(Lycoming County)

My father has one he bought probably a decade ago. As others have said the fit and finish leave a lot to be desired but it has proven reliable. At this price point this is what matters most IMO. I also have a Single Six. This was my first pistol. If money isn't a real concern I would go with the Ruger personaly. The fit and finish is great on mine and it is very accurate. I've had occasion to fire both back to back at the range and the Ruger feels more substantional in the hand. The action also feels much better on the Ruger. I find the Rough Rider to feel kind of cheaper by comparison, which it is.

(Lancaster County)

HRR has added a number of models to their line since when I purchased mine years ago.
    They offer 9 shot models as well as some with adjustable sights.

Made in USA I never had a problem with mine but I can't say I've shot 1000's of rounds through it either.

The hammer block safety could be thought of as a plus when teaching young or new shooters has it could help to reinforce the idea of using a mechanical safety devise along with common sense safe gun handling measures.

Yeah as others have eluded to I have no buyers remorse on the HRR but the newer adjustable sight model is what I would buy today should I be in the market for one.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

I've had one for over 5 years. All of the above is true. It's not a Ruger, a bit rough in the finish, sights are not the best, but it goes bang every time. It's a fun gun for taking out with the kids and shooting old golf balls.

(Juniata County)

I have a 6" version (both 22 and 22 mag cylinders) with the adjustable target sights. The front post really stands out, even in lower light conditions. It's a great little SA revolver for the money. I've had mine maybe 10 years now and haven't had any issues.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast