Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Cleaning supplies and cleaning tips for Glock 23?

What are the necessary cleaning supplies for cleaning my Glock 23 and how would I go about cleaning and maintaining it properly? Thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Cleaning supplies and cleaning tips for Glock 23?

Who in the hell cleans a Glock?
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Who in the hell cleans a Glock?
    I was thinking the same thing.

Glock is one of the few guns that you don't really need to 'maintain'. But, if you want to, you can use any commercial CLP. I personally use Weapon Shield on my firearms but anything will work.

(Allegheny County)

I second the Weapon Shield except during cold weather. It seemed to make some firing pins have light strikes at the winter Group Shoots.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Chester County)

I clean mine every time I shoot it I am just anal that way lol. My favorite trick is Q-Tips. They get all the small spots that a rag can't reach. As far as cleaning products I bought the "Kleen Bore" Cleaning kit and the apropriate brass bore brush and brass patch jeg. That is what I use on my Glock, btw the nylon brush that Glock gives you is useless.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Allegheny County)

(This information is from a friend of mine who is a Glock Certified Armoror. He recently taught me how to to a complete tear-down and cleaning on my G22 and gave me many helpful tips)

Glocks are picky when it comes to oiling... use only the slightest bit, and never get any into the firing pin channel.

Use a decent grade solvent to clean carbon deposits and fowling form the barrel. The Tenifer coating on the slide and in the barrel is extremely durable, and only needs a light coating of oil to keep it nice.

Don't oil the trigger, or the trigger mechanism. Dust and debris stick to oil and will cause more damage and wear then the "lack" of oil would.

Put only one small drop of oil where the trigger bar and disconnecter meet at the rear of the frame.

Your best bet is to find a Glock Armorer who is willing to demonstrate a complete tear-down and re-assembly for you, so you don't over-oil (like i did when I first got my weapon) and so you can inspect it for any damage that may not be apparent from a simple field stripping.

I leave you with the page form the Armorer's manual about lubrication:

Attached Images Attached Images

(Lebanon County)

I had a Glock armour recommend using Simple Green. I find that it works very well on everything except stubborn lead deposits inside the barrel. If you're not familiar with Simple Green, it's an all purpose cleaner you can find almost anywhere. Not only does it clean extremely well, it is easy on the skin, has a pleasant odor, and it literally leaves the parts squeaky clean. After cleaning the barrel and guide rod/recoil spring just rinse off the parts with clean water and dry.

If Simple Green doesn't clean out the lead in the barrel I use Hoppes Elite cleaner. I soak the barrel for 10 minutes or so and run a brass brush in and out about 10 to 15 times. That usually does the trick. For heavy lead fouling you may need to soak for much longer periods -possibly overnight.

After cleaning I wipe everything down with a rag saturated with Break Free and then wipe it off with a clean dry rag. It leaves just enough behind to give a good, thin coating.

If you need advice on cleaning tools here's what you need:
    -A cleaning rod for a pistol, preferably one that swivels so the tools follow the rifling inside the barrel.
    -A brass or nylon barrel brush
    -A barrel jag - if you buy a kit, you won't get a jag - you'll get a tool with a slot in the end where you insert a patch. This tool is good for putting a light coat of oil inside the barrel but it does not provide enough bearing surface to remove residue. Use a jag with the patch placed over the end. You may encounter a real tight fit but that's the way it's supposed to be.
    -Patches. I buy the large packs of the cotton T-shirt type.
    -Rags. I use the lintless painters rags (available at Home Depot) which are esentially the same material as the patches but in larger pieces.
    -A brush of some sort is also helpful. Most kits include one, if not you can buy them separatly or just use an old toothbrush.
    -Other various tools are helpful like Q-Tips, tiny screwdriver for cleaning in small spaces with a patch, dental picks (for really small spaces!)

Lastly refer to your owners manual for where to apply drops of oil.

Hope this helps!
    NRA, SAF, IDPA, FOP, PA Sheriffs Assoc.

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin

(Venango County)

Go to Wal-Mart buy a box of Blazer Brass......shoot the crap out of it....wipe it of....or not....good enough.....the full metal jackets keep it clean...LOL

Seriously though.....I haven't cleaned mine in 6 months, and it doesn't really get that dirty.....the strange riflings and use of non leaded bullets seems to make for not much fouling....

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Centre County)

Gonna bring this back from the dead...

Would a dry teflon spray be suitable to use on the slide and other lube points? I see Rem has one, i've used it on revolvers with no issue, but never on a glock.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by tntblaster View Post
    Gonna bring this back from the dead...

Would a dry teflon spray be suitable to use on the slide and other lube points? I see Rem has one, i've used it on revolvers with no issue, but never on a glock.
    You can have all your questions, and a whole lot more, answered here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/42...-cleaning.html

Lubing the G23 will be no different from lubing the G19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast