Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Resident Buying Handgun

Hello.

I am considering a move to PA and have one quick question.

Is there a minimum residency requirement to purchase a handgun? I live in VA and was told when I first moved here that I could not purchase a handgun until I had been a resident for 30 days. And VA is a generally a gun friendly state. I am pretty sure that this is a state law in VA, but no one seems to know much about it.

Does anyone know if this is a state or federal law, and if the former, does PA have any similar laws on the books?

Thank you.

(York County)

Default Re: New Resident Buying Handgun

I purchased a gun and suppressor the same day I got my PA license. This was in May.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyGoat View Post
    I purchased a gun and suppressor the same day I got my PA license. This was in May.
    Well I guess I will be okay then. Great to hear.

Thanks!

(York County)

ShelbyGoat is correct. You will want to get your PA DL (or state photo ID) first, then stop at your friendly local gun store on the way home, make your purchase, and take it home with you.

There are no state or federal residency-time restrictions for firearms purchases. For that matter you can get your PA LTCF the same way. The only difference with the LTCF is that they are all so overwhelmed it is very unlikely you will take your license home the day you apply, but it used to be that way in a number of counties.

Here's an early 'welcome to PA' and 'welcome to PAFOA'.

Do you know yet where you are moving to in PA?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Juniata County)

Welcome to the State of Independence.

BTW time to get your hunting license for the year. Tags just went on sale.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Northampton County)

I think you are actually required to get your PA DL in 15 days. I'm pretty sure you are at least if you move. So just go get it and buy a gun.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I think you are actually required to get your PA DL in 15 days. I'm pretty sure you are at least if you move. So just go get it and buy a gun.
    Having just gone through it, I think you technically have 60 days (?) to get your DL, but you only have 20 days to re-title/tag your cars and you need a PA DL to do that...so yeah, about 15-20 days effectively. I went to get my new license as soon as I had proof of residency.

(Pike County)

When I moved to Pa I went directly from the DL center to the gun store, so say 15min. for residency.

(Allegheny County)

Driver’s License/Photo ID/Learner’s Permit Info for New Residents

All new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver’s License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency. To apply, you must appear in person at one of our Driver License Centers. You will be required to surrender your out-of-state driver’s license (valid or expired six months or less) before PennDOT can issue you a PA Driver's License. You will need to take a vision-screening test and complete Form DL-180R “Application for Pennsylvania Non-Commercial Driver’s License By Out-of-State Non-CDL Driver.” In addition, you will need to show proof of identification and residency and your Social Security card. Please visit our fees page for information on the fee for the product you will be requesting.
    Regulations state that you have to do it within 60 days. But assuming you have all the correct documentation you can do it on day 1.

After you have a PA DL or Photo ID you can head to the gun shop and buy anything you want that day (obviously NFA items require more time and work).

I would start the application process for your LTCF right away. PA is good relating to most aspects of firearm ownership. But the state does have some restrictive laws on transportation of firearms.

Basically without a LTCF (Licence To Carry Firearms) you can only transport firearms directly to and from your residence(s) place of business, gun shop, repair center, range, or place of assembly. No stops in between are allowed. So you cant get a slushy at Sheetz and you can't stop at your friends house on your way back from the range or the gun shop.
    Last edited by QuackXP; July 16th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Pike County)

Welcome to free America!
    I went through this process in December and they required a couple of items that shows your residency- USPS mailed originales of my gas and electric bills and my bank account statements. They were pretty thorough on examining them, a secondary photo ID like a passport also helps to grease the wheels.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast