Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Trade my PM9 for a Shield or XDS-9mm

I was cleaning my PM9 that I have had a while. And I kept thinking to myself the slide is very, very stiff. I've known this but really haven't gotten around to seeing my options.

I started to consider the XDS 9mm a couple months back, but decided against it. I am now back on it. Same goes for the Shield.

Does anyone have a PM9 and shot a XDS or Shield and preferred either one?

The PM9 is great for concealment considering my small frame, but the stiff slide is a killer. Makes racking difficult. Wanted to see if the XDS or Shield has a smoother/lighter recoil spring.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Trade my PM9 for a Shield or XDS-9mm

How many rounds do you have through the PM9? It has a stiff slide by design but will loosen up as you use it. I have shot both the Shield and XDS45 (not the 9) and in my opinion you have the superior firearm. This has come up before and you will get varying advice but I would never trade my Kahr for a Shield or XDS.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Montgomery County)

It has only about 300 rounds through it. I'll be sure to run more through it if it helps loosen things up. I do love the PM9, as my only gripe about it is the slide stiffness and can become difficult to sling shot or rack the slide when a malfunction occurs (a few occurred when I first got the PM9 and now runs flawlessly). Even considered going bigger with the P9.

Can't speak about a Shield, never shot one (though I did handle a blue gun once -- decided against it immediately since it didn't fit my hand right).

Owned a PM9, was flawless for me for the 200 rounds or so that I put through it (I bought it used). Sold it, and kinda sorta wished I hadn't...but I don't have true seller's remorse.

Currently have an XD-S 9mm. It's a smidge bigger in every dimension than the PM9. I'd always thought the PM9's grip was just a touch too small for me -- the XD-S's grip takes care of that. Softer shooting than a PM9, in my opinion. The slide is easier to rack than the PM9's, but as bripro pointed out, the PM9's slide will loosen up over time (Kahrs are notorious for needing a minimum of 200 rounds to break in).

If you shoot it well and it feels comfortable in your hands, keep the PM9.

By the way, if you pocket carry spare mags, get yourself the higher-powered springs for your mags -- it'll help prevent the top round from constantly falling out of the mag.

(Montgomery County)

I too have handled the blue gun, but I do not believe its a true representation of the Shield to feel the actual weight of it in my hands. The blue gun did not feel great, but I continue to hear about its great feeling in the hands.

I think I may try to handle the XDS-9 and see how I like it. The PM9 is a great size, it does feel just a touch small in my hands. Its great for pocket carry. I do pocket carry my spare mag, but have not had any issues with rounds popping out. My issue I had within the break in period was that rounds would nose dive into the feedramp due to the top round not being in the proper angle since it seems like the rounds change feed angles when it hits the feedlips.

Are you happy with your XDS-9?

Quote Originally Posted by AJChenMPH View Post
    Can't speak about a Shield, never shot one (though I did handle a blue gun once -- decided against it immediately since it didn't fit my hand right).

Owned a PM9, was flawless for me for the 200 rounds or so that I put through it (I bought it used). Sold it, and kinda sorta wished I hadn't...but I don't have true seller's remorse.

Currently have an XD-S 9mm. It's a smidge bigger in every dimension than the PM9. I'd always thought the PM9's grip was just a touch too small for me -- the XD-S's grip takes care of that. Softer shooting than a PM9, in my opinion. The slide is easier to rack than the PM9's, but as bripro pointed out, the PM9's slide will loosen up over time (Kahrs are notorious for needing a minimum of 200 rounds to break in).

If you shoot it well and it feels comfortable in your hands, keep the PM9.

By the way, if you pocket carry spare mags, get yourself the higher-powered springs for your mags -- it'll help prevent the top round from constantly falling out of the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    Are you happy with your XDS-9?
    So far, so good -- 201 FMJ rounds and 14 JHP rounds through it with no failures. Felt recoil is lighter than that of a PM9, in my opinion -- very close to a Glock 26's. My only real complaint is that the rear sight is useless for one-handed manipulations, but that's a personal preference thing...

Edited to add:

I too have handled the blue gun, but I do not believe its a true representation of the Shield to feel the actual weight of it in my hands. The blue gun did not feel great, but I continue to hear about its great feeling in the hands.
    For me, the issue is the backstrap -- it's very "Glock 19/23 Gen3"-ish and pushes into the fleshy part of my palm and forces the barrel to point higher than intended point of aim. It otherwise felt good, but I didn't want to have to remember to cock my wrist over to get the pistol pointed to where I wanted it.
    Last edited by AJChenMPH; July 18th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.

I love my XDs. Have about 100 rounds or so through it so far, and is very very accurate. Feel in hand is very good. I give the best fit in the hand to my Shield, but I feel my shield doesnt make me as accurate due to the snappiness of the .40.

(Montgomery County)

This was one reason I also did not like the PM9. It was very difficult to rack the slide against my body/belt for one-handed manipulations. Again, due to the stiff slide.

I handled the XDS yesterday and it felt nice in the hands the slide was relatively easy to manipulate. It did feel a bit bulkier, but nothing I could not adjust too.

I did make notice of rear sight for single hand manipulations, but I would replace the sights when I found a set of night sights.

I am actively seeking to replace the PM9 now for an XDS.

Quote Originally Posted by AJChenMPH View Post
    So far, so good -- 201 FMJ rounds and 14 JHP rounds through it with no failures. Felt recoil is lighter than that of a PM9, in my opinion -- very close to a Glock 26's. My only real complaint is that the rear sight is useless for one-handed manipulations, but that's a personal preference thing...

Edited to add:

For me, the issue is the backstrap -- it's very "Glock 19/23 Gen3"-ish and pushes into the fleshy part of my palm and forces the barrel to point higher than intended point of aim. It otherwise felt good, but I didn't want to have to remember to cock my wrist over to get the pistol pointed to where I wanted it.

I did make notice of rear sight for single hand manipulations, but I would replace the sights when I found a set of night sights..
    Here you go -- everything you need to know about aftermarket sights for an XD-S:

http://xdman.com/blog/2013/3/31/trij...ts-for-the-xds

I ordered an AmeriGlo XD-402 rear sight on June 25th...was told they're running two weeks behind, but I still don't have it yet...

(Lancaster County)

wouldn't do it in a million years although I would like to add an xds to the stable. might want to check out Galloway precision for some pm9 parts to help you out with your spring tension "issue", they a few nice things over there. the trigger setup is nice, shoots like a different gun and helps with accuracy(not that any kahr is lacking in that department).
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast