Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default any way to run sn of rifles and handguns

I Have An Opportunity To Buy Some Guns Off Of A Guy.He Is Selling Them All Fairly Cheap And Said They Were Passed Down From A Family Member Who Died. He Says He Does Not Like Guns. I Understand Ftf Transactions Are Legal But What Happens If They Are Stolen? The One Handgun Is A Colt 1911 And He Wants $300 For It.It Is Cheap For A Colt I Know Which Throws Up Red Flags. I Know It Needs To Go Threw A Ffl But If It Gets Transferee Into My Name And Ends Up Being Hot, Am I Out My Money?

I Would Like A Way To Run The Numbers Before Buying If Someone Can Be Of Some Help Or Lend Me Insight.

Thanks
    Last edited by sparkyst; July 14th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: any way to run sn of rifles and handguns

CROSSPOSTED!
    Last edited by Pa.Sniper; July 14th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

(Jefferson County)

There is no way to run the guns unless you know a cop, or you use one of those sites that people report their own stolen guns to(which is about worthless).

If you have such worries - either don't buy them or have each and every gun transferred through a FFL. A FFL transfer will help prove you acquired them in a lawful means - and, you have to transfer handguns via a FFL anyways.

NCIC records of stolen guns get purged every so many years. So, even if a gun was entered into NCIC 5 or 10, or more years ago it probably isn't in there now. The PSP probably has their own database of stolen/lost guns that probably doesn't get purged even once they are recovered.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

have you seen the guns in person? if so what condition are they in? 300 for a colt 1911 in poor condition might be a fair price. on the other hand 300 for a colt in good condition is a steal and would set off red flags for me also. if i suspected the firearms were stolen i would pass unless the seller could prove ownership. if the firearms were stolen and you bought them you would be out whatever you paid for them.

(Lycoming County)

How well do you know the seller?
    Could they be cutting you a break due to being a good friend?
    Do they not know the real value of what they have?
    Are they short of funds and need to make the sale quick so they are cutting a deal to make it happen?
    Have you seen the firearms?
    You might think you are being cheated once you see them (did the seller actually watch the steamroller run over them?)

Weigh all this into your decision.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ