Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Difference between .223 ammo

I dont believe I can fire M193 in my Mini-14
    Dude! The mini will eat M193 or anything else all day long....please! That 5.56 vs. .223 don't mean sheit to a mini.

(Philadelphia County)

Hey Guys,

ATK (Federal) operates Lake City Arsenal at the moment. The XM designation is the Federal nomenclature. (X)M193 is 55Gr FMJ, (X)M193A is the same ammo on stripper clips. (X)M855 is 62Gr, steel core SS109 penetrator ammo. I contacted Lake City a while back and spoke with the 5.56 production manager and he tells me that 5.56 ammunition labeled with an "X" in the product designation is only to signify that it being sold under the Federal label. It's all made on exactly the same production line using the same materials, methods and quality control. Anything labeled with the "PD" suffix is basically prectice ammo. As with the others the "PD" designated suffix should be avoided. It's basically odds and ends for practice and not suitable for combat. 7.62 Gunner

usarmorment.com
    Last edited by 7.62gunner; April 24th, 2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: update

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62gunner View Post
    Hey Guys,

Federal operates Lake City Arsenal at the moment. The XM designation is the Federal nomeclature. XM193 is 55Gr BTHP, XM193A is the same ammo on stripper clips. Anything labeled with the "PD" suffix is basically junk. XM855 is 62Gr, steel core SS109 penetrator ammo. As with the others the "PD" designated suffix should be avoided. It's basically odds and ends for practice. 7.62 Gunner

usarmorment.com
    Umm... are you sure xm193 is a hollow point? because I have shot a lot of xm193 and it has not been hollow point.. Just wondering...

(Philadelphia County)

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking I only sold 20,000 rounds of it last month, it's a BT not a BTHP....7.62

(Monroe County)

Its cool, no need to apologise. I just wasn't sure if there was something different out there I didn't know about.

(Philadelphia County)

Now, It's just been a looong week...

(Montgomery County)

Here is a an explination from Ammo oracle. Go to the webisite for more info. Q. What is the difference between 5.56×45mm and .223 Remington ammo?
    In the 1950's, the US military adopted the metric system of measurement and uses metric measurements to describe ammo. However, the US commercial ammo market typically used the English "caliber" measurements when describing ammo. "Caliber" is a shorthand way of saying "hundredths (or thousandths) of an inch." For example, a fifty caliber projectile is approximately fifty one-hundredths (.50) of an inch and a 357 caliber projectile is approximately three-hundred and fifty-seven thousandths (.357) of an inch. Dimensionally, 5.56 and .223 ammo are identical, though military 5.56 ammo is typically loaded to higher pressures and velocities than commercial ammo and may, in guns with extremely tight "match" .223 chambers, be unsafe to fire.

The chambers for .223 and 5.56 weapons are not the same either. Though the AR15 design provides an extremely strong action, high pressure signs on the brass and primers, extraction failures and cycling problems may be seen when firing hot 5.56 ammo in .223-chambered rifles. Military M16s and AR15s from Colt, Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, and some others, have the M16-spec chamber and should have no trouble firing hot 5.56 ammunition.

Military M16s have slightly more headspace and have a longer throat area, compared to the SAAMI .223 chamber spec, which was originally designed for bolt-action rifles. Commercial SAAMI-specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat or leade and less freebore than the military chamber. Shooting 5.56 Mil-Spec ammo in a SAAMI-specification chamber can increase pressure dramatically, up to an additional 15,000 psi or more.

The military chamber is often referred to as a "5.56 NATO" chamber, as that is what is usually stamped on military barrels. Some commercial AR manufacturers use the tighter ".223" (i.e., SAAMI-spec and often labeled ".223" or ".223 Remington") chamber, which provides for increased accuracy but, in self-loading rifles, less cycling reliability, especially with hot-loaded military ammo. A few AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber. Many mis-mark their barrels too, which further complicates things. You can generally tell what sort of chamber you are dealing with by the markings, if any, on the barrel, but always check with the manufacturer to be sure.

(Bucks County)

Yeah, what he said!

Hey, stay away from those fancy princess AR's and just get a Mini-14...they eat everything, take a whacking and keep on tacking...

(Luzerne County)

To MARK2052:

That is the type of info that I found too. Hence the comment about using 5.56 in my .223. After reading wellarmedliberal's comment about using 5.56 in his mini as well as other info I have come across, I'm going to pick some up and head to the range.

All the info is great. That's why I'm here.

Thanks all.

(Bucks County)

Sounds like a plan. FWIW it pays to know the twist rate of your barrel.

Mine is a 186 series Mini-14 I think with 1:7 rate that likes Partizan 62 gr. and 75 gr. rounds. Also have no prob with Wolf, except a hard pimer once in a while.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast