Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Difference between .223 ammo

Wellarmedliberal:

Another one of those "I have heard..."

I have heard that Wolf isn't good to use because of the steel case. But like your comment, I have also heard others that have used it say that they like it. Are there any issues with the steel cases beating up guns?

Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Wolf coats their steel cases which in turn melts in your chamber once it warms up, it's dirty cheap ammo. Just the thing if you like poor accuracy and feed problems. If I'm at the range and hear a guy cursing his AR he's usually shooting junk ammo. I don't get why someone would spend good money on a rifle, a good scope, all kinds of gear, talk about MOA shots and shoot junk ammunition.

(Bucks County)

I have heard that Wolf isn't good to use because of the steel case. But like your comment, I have also heard others that have used it say that they like it. Are there any issues with the steel cases beating up guns?
    Wolf used to coat their cartridges with lacquer, then Wolf in the black box switched to polymer coating and I think the newer Military Classic Wolf in the camo box may also have switched to polymer...so coating not a problem.

Some folks used to have a problem w shooting brass and mixing in steel case in same session...brass and steel cool at different rates...

I have no probs with Wolf through my mini-14...I do have a failure to fire once in awhile, maybe 1 in 100 or 200, because Wolf uses a harder primer than some. Again, I've heard there's some more expensive, delicate ARs that one needs to be careful with. But if your rifle can take it, Wolf is good, cheap practice ammo. It's not junk; it won't blow up, it's just cheap and a little dirtier...

BTW, Wolf is just the import umbrella name, Prvi Partizan = Wolf Gold, etc. If you like brass, Prvi Partizan is more like .33 cents a round, compared to Wolf's .25 cents or Federal XM193 for .40 cents.

(Philadelphia County)

I guess maybe it depends on the gun but everybody I run into at Ft Dix complains about feed jams and how dirty it is. I shot some out of my friend M&P and had a 6" spread and feed problems. Switched to Lake City and all the problems disappeared. Even if it feeds it's still just make noise ammo to me. Great for guys who don't care too much about target shooting for accuracy. Just my opinion.

(Berks County)

Out of curiousity and caution, are the M855 steel core rounds considered armor piercing in the state of PA?

(Philadelphia County)

They are not technically armor piercing rounds. They are steel core penetrators. The steel core helps maintain sustained velocity and thus provide greater target penetration. Actually the biggest problem is they can go right through an enemy without slowing him down. The M995 is actually the 5.56 Tungsten Carbide core armor penetrating round design to penetrate body and light armor. No, you can't buy them. PS... the 855 works best in M16A2 and up. The XM193 works best in an M16A1 and can be used in the A2
    Last edited by 7.62gunner; May 30th, 2008 at 10:49 PM.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the info wasn't sure, but wanted be safer than sorry.

(York County)

you can shoot that in your Mini 14,I shoot it all the time,I bought over 3000 rds for the mini 14,Read your book that came with your Mini 14,it reads,9well mine does ) 223 or 5.56

Has anyone had any experience with Igman .223 ammo? I found 200 round "battlepacks" fairly cheap and was wondering if it's worth a shot or if I should stick w/ Federal. The igman is listed as m855 ss109 62 gr 'penetrator' rounds.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Dude,

Those M855 rounds have a steel core that not all ranges will let you use. If you're just looking for practice ammo and don't want steel cases like Wolf, I'd definitely check out Prvi Partizan...averages around 32 cents a round, I think. If you feel like moving up to the next level, there's Federal Lake City or XM193 "tactical" for like 40 cents a round.

Also, if you want the best deal, check here frequently:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=318515

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast