Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default getting into gunsmithing

I could use a lot of advice. I am very interrested in getting into gunsmithing, but I cannot afford to just take off and leave to go to school for it. I just don't have that kind of time or money. (not to mention wife and kids probly wouldn't be to cool about me leaving) Can anyone give me some guidence? I am looking into taking some machinist classes a "local" tech school, in the evenings after work. But there again, I will have to drive at least 1 hour one way to get to the school. I am very mechanical, but lack the actual experience, and knowledge of the trade. Are there any online or "at home" courses which are worthwile? What kind of lathe is suitable? Milling machine? Brands? Models?
    Last edited by Roger41; January 7th, 2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: first post kinda vague.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: getting into gunsmithing

Welcome to the PAFOA cheesehead, I mean Roger41. I see you ain't getting much help and I sure cannot help you with any gunsmithing but what I would do is go to my local library, especially since you cannot devote all your time to courses. We have all but forgotten the free library and I know mine has many books on the subject. Then you can study when you find the time. Also, try to get lucky and find an older gunsmith who would be willing to pass on his knowledge to you. That hour drive to school would suck so try home schooling with the help of the free library...Mike45

*L* Yep, should have used "cheeshead" instead of roger41! Thanks for the advise, I was actually thinking about just doing my own "research" at a library or a bookstore. I see there are plenty of books on "How to use an engine lathe". Guess I will start there.
    Thanks again!

There is a school in NC that offers a Gunsmithing degree. I also believe there is one in the Pittsburgh, PA area as well. I don't know how you would try to become a gunsmith on a part time basis. Not to sound like a jerk, but I wouldn't want someone doing it PT to work on my weapons. I want someone that was 100% dedicated to the craft.

(Bedford County)

Most of us are 100% dedicated to the craft. But due to location, it's hard to make a good living gunsmithing. So we do what we can.

I would need 30-50 guns a week to work full time. Won't happen here in Bedford County. Many "fulltime" gunsmiths keep busy by selling guns and assy. Even places like Gander Mt. don't have a gunsmith in the back working like a bee for 8 hrs. every day.

BTW - the schooling is the cheap part. Tooling and parts will eat you alive.

I understand Aubie515's concern about a "partime gunsmith", I am a licensed Master Electrician, and so I have seen what can happen when someone "thinks" they know what they are doing, but end up making things either worse or just plain dangerous. (it is pretty scarry sometimes) I would never attempt to alter someone's firearm without being trained and qualified to do so. However, due to the fact that I have a wife, four children, a healthy mortgage, and a full-time job I cannot simply take off to pursue another carreer. I cannot just leave for another state and spent 2+years and $30-60k on an education which may or maynot increase my financial situation. Also, I understand what Buckmark seemed to be eluding to. The fact that, I probly won't be able to go out and jump into a full-time position as a gunsmith. Odds are, if I were able to open a shop, I will have to do something more than just gunsmithing to support family. ("sell guns and assy." etc.) But it is something I want to pursue. I very much enjoy guns. I am a perfectionist when working, and pride myself as a craftsman in whatever project I take on.
    Please don't get me wrong. I am not offended by your advice or opinion, I can really appreciate it. Thank you!
    But I really do want to learn the trade. Starting with what I think are the basics, such as machine tooling, and metalurgy. That is why I have posted "the questions" to all of you. I am hoping for some sound advice, options, and a sense of direction to make the most of my limited time an resources.
    Thank you to everyone who has taken the time respond to my questions. I am open to all advice and opinions.

Roger41

Well, I am where you were, a year ago. Have you persued this over the last year? What have you learned that you can pass along?

Thanks

Montgomery Community College in Troy N.C. has short term classes, maybe
    as long as 2 weeks. There are other schools that do this also. I don't
    have the details, NRA website might have a listing of these or check out
    the school websites for specific info. Taking one of these classes might
    help you see if you really like doing firearm repair etc.

The web add. is www.montgomery.cc.nc.us I graduated there in '85.
    Seems like a bazillion years ago.

Thanks Woody
    I've done some interent searches and found the NRA listed schools....browsed some curriculums, etc. Having to work the 9/5 really doesn;t give an opportunity for formal classes in another state. What I think may be most suitable is to find something oline for an orientation and then get hands-on with a local smith. Question is.... which of the few online offerings is preferred and reasonably priced at least for the basics.
    Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast