Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Trop Gun

(Lancaster County)

Default Trop Gun

I tell alot of people to go to trop for ammo. Lately they have been telling me they don't have 22 or 9mm but I see plenty of it on there gunbroker site selling for triple what it would sell for in the store so I asked one of the guys in the store about it and he said they like to help out the people that don't live close. If that were true I would think they would make it a fixed reasonable price. One of the things that make our country great is a free market. I would have more respect for them if they would have said we can make triple profit by using an auction site instead of acting like they were trying to help someone out. We are a heavy shooting family so for now I will buy my ammo from them but when my other local shops get more ammo in I will spend the extra money and buy from them.I wonder how many of those people they "helped" out will be there to spend money at there new shop when it opens. I also wonder how many local people that couldn't get ammo because it was only available by auction will be there. Message to Trop: Take care of your local customers because they are the ones that paid for your new building.

Default Re: Trop Gun

I beat this drum with them previously. It's obvious what they're doing, and it's their right to do it. As you said, they can make a lot more money by throwing it online and letting guys cut each other's throats for it rather than serving their local customers at retail prices. I'll remember them, though, when things get back to normal and maybe from now on I'll help out the businesses that don't live close by buying online instead.
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(York County)

Given what 9mm is selling by OTHER sellers, I wouldn't be surprised if selling the 9mm at the higher price online is what finances their ability to sell it to the locals (for a box or two) at what they charge in the shop. What Trop is selling online is pretty close to what their competition is charging (less, in some cases). That is pretty indicative of what the "going rate" is for 9mm and .22lr ammo.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were actually TAKING A LOSS to charge what they charge in the shop, for the sake of keeping up the local traffic in their shop. Sell the ammo at a loss, customer who buys said ammo sees a cleaning kit, or an optic, or whatever else they're looking for, then that $10 initial loss nets a small profit.

Don't forget that they are probably paying the ammo wholesalers significantly-more than they used to.

Have you people ever run a business?

Taking a loss to sell to locals? Yes. I'm sure you're right.

(York County)

Tropps has been getting an ample stock of the different calibers and has been pricing it at very reasonable prices compared to other local sellers.
    Every time I have been there, they have had ammo, What's wrong with selling some online at what the market will bare?

(Lancaster County)

I never said what they are doing is wrong, I said I would respect them more if they would just tell the truth about it As far as them losing money on items I doubt that ,I talked to a guy at another local shop about what Trop charges for .22 and he said that would be a 100 percent mark up on what they pay for it. That other shop also had a new xds 9mm for 499 Trop sells the same gun for 599. Losing money again to help out the locals?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdeen View Post
    I never said what they are doing is wrong, I said I would respect them more if they would just tell the truth about it As far as them losing money on items I doubt that ,I talked to a guy at another local shop about what Trop charges for .22 and he said that would be a 100 percent mark up on what they pay for it. That other shop also had a new xds 9mm for 499 Trop sells the same gun for 599. Losing money again to help out the locals?
    Yeah, because if there is anyone who would provide an objective view on someone's pricing structure, it would be a competitor!

Again, they're a business. They only stay in business if they make money. They only get to expand their business if they make MORE money. And Trop is trying hard to expand their business-- that requires serious cash.

We'll see how things pan out when the shortage of .22lr and 9mm is over. In the meantime, I haven't yet found anything they are charging in their shop to be completely unreasonable, and what they are charging online for 9mm FMJ is actually less than what many other online merchants are charging for similar product-- many of the "ammo surplus" sites I've been checking are charging ~$210 for 500 115gr FMJ 9mm-- Trop is charging ~$155. If someone wants it that badly, they can pay that sum for it. As for myself, I'm happy walking into the shop twice a week and buying a box or two off the shelf at the lower rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    Tropps has been getting an ample stock of the different calibers and has been pricing it at very reasonable prices compared to other local sellers.
    Every time I have been there, they have had ammo, What's wrong with selling some online at what the market will bare?
    My complaint with them was when the shelves were empty every day by lunchtime with a 1 box limit to local customers, and they were selling full cases online to non-local bidders. I stopped there multiple times and left empty handed because the day's 'allotment' had been sold already. If they now have ammo on the shelves and are selling online I can't complain about that, but the OP said they don't have any on the shelves again so I'm going by his word. I stopped shopping at Trop because I was sick of going to look at empty shelves with 1 box limit tags hanging on them while cases were on auction on GB to people who will probably never set foot in the store, so I can no longer speak to what they have on the shelf.

(Tioga County)

It's a free market and when you are in business if you can move those hot items at a great price because other things might not sell as well or you have expenses in other areas. If they are moving it out in bulk online for a great price you can't blame them because at some point the bubble will pop, it always does.

My personal suspicion is that supply has come back, but gun stores are hedging their bets and supply on the shelves in the event of any further drama this year and also a one box limit drives store traffic as you might see a gun you like or other stuff you might need.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdeen View Post
    Wait, what shop is selling the XDs 9mm for $499?

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast