Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Trop Gun

Default Re: Trop Gun

Mailman must have gotten lost on his route as he hasn't posted yet.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdeen View Post
    I ran into my mailman Saturday. He is going to be posting this week to explain some things. I just read my last post and it was not full of anti Trop. I said I didn't see anyone I used to know which was a fact. I mentioned the big price increase in transfer price which was also a fact. I also ran into Allecia, she worked at Trop for several years until she left there a few years ago to work at the Mt. Joy diner where she said she started there making more money than she did at Trop after working there for 5 years. I notice most of the people that like to jump on the side of Trop are not people that have shopped there much in the past. I bought well over 15 guns at Trop from 2006 till 2013. I also bought 10s of thousands of rounds of ammo from them. When I complain about them it's from experience, not from reading other people's posts and forming a opinion.
    Maybe it’s because the only post I see from you are post that reflect negatively on Trop. They’re 40-45 minutes away from me. I don’t have a dog in the fight. Information is great. This seems more like a reckoning.
    Trop and a shop close to me have the highest prices around. They also both offer more than most shops.
    Have at it and enjoy

(Dauphin County)

I was in Trop not long after they opened on 10/25/17 and the walls behind the counters were barren. I was amazed by how many open panels there were. I've never seen it like that in there before. Granted they had just opened so it is entirely possible that they hadn't brought everything out yet but it was still odd to see.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    I was in Trop not long after they opened on 10/25/17 and the walls behind the counters were barren. I was amazed by how many open panels there were. I've never seen it like that in there before. Granted they had just opened so it is entirely possible that they hadn't brought everything out yet but it was still odd to see.
    Rumors are that they aren't doing well,but there are a lot of gunshops that aren't doing well

(Lancaster County)

I stopped in on Saturday, Veterans Day, thinking it would be packed. Boy was I wrong, I’ve never seen it that dead. I think the revolving door upfront must be for the staff as I didn’t see any familiar faces. Whether or not that’s a sign that something is going on or not it is a shame. There were some good guys there in the past.
    Furthermore I never thought I would see the day that coming from Lancaster I could find better prices on the ammunition one exit prior.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(York County)

I was a long time fan even when they were at the old shop, and right after they moved to the new place. No, they weren't always the absolute cheapest place on every item I was looking for, but often I found that their prices were fair and being able to personally examine a firearm before buying is worth a few extra bucks to me anyway. Likewise they often had some killer deals on ammo and accessories to make the trip there worthwhile. I always made it a point to stop in anytime I was passing through the area. I don't know what may be going on with Trop's these days, as someone mentioned that rumors are they aren't doing well, but I know that I don't feel the urge to stop in as often as I once did. The whole place just seems to have a different feel. The staff has almost totally changed, not a familiar face in sight. I haven't found a single good buy there in the last 6-9 months either. Maybe it's me, or maybe their business model has changed. I'm not saying that I have had an actual negative experience with any purchase from Trop's recently, but the store simply isn't the same as it was a year or two ago. Just my two cents worth, YMMV.

(Lancaster County)

So, Phill Groff is leaving Trop Gun to start up his own training business. Best wishes to him...
    (refer to their Facebook page)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    I was a long time fan even when they were at the old shop, and right after they moved to the new place. No, they weren't always the absolute cheapest place on every item I was looking for, but often I found that their prices were fair and being able to personally examine a firearm before buying is worth a few extra bucks to me anyway. Likewise they often had some killer deals on ammo and accessories to make the trip there worthwhile. I always made it a point to stop in anytime I was passing through the area. I don't know what may be going on with Trop's these days, as someone mentioned that rumors are they aren't doing well, but I know that I don't feel the urge to stop in as often as I once did. The whole place just seems to have a different feel. The staff has almost totally changed, not a familiar face in sight. I haven't found a single good buy there in the last 6-9 months either. Maybe it's me, or maybe their business model has changed. I'm not saying that I have had an actual negative experience with any purchase from Trop's recently, but the store simply isn't the same as it was a year or two ago. Just my two cents worth, YMMV.
    I feel the same way...I really liked the old shop and, to me, they kind of lost their way with the new place. I like the old school shops like I used to go into with my Dad.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
    So, Phill Groff is leaving Trop Gun to start up his own training business. Best wishes to him...
    (refer to their Facebook page)
    Thanks ArmyVet! I'm back on the board as Vigr Training. I no longer have any affiliation with my previous employer.
    Vigr Training LLC - "Able in Battle" - email us: info@vigrtraining.com

Lots of recent comments about the revolving door of employees. I stop in at Trop about once a month to check out what's new and I keep an eye on the weekly used gun list they send via email. I'm there to look at guns and sales so I don't pay too much attention to the employee roster. From my experience a lot of gun shop employees fall into two categories: wanna be and retirees. The wanna be's often seem to be college students hoping to get a job in law enforcement and the retirees have just left the same. Regardless the bottom line is it is a retail business. I'd challenge anyone to find a retail business of any kind that has the same steady employees year after year. Whether it is a gun shop, department store, big box sporting goods chain, or restaurant good luck finding an employee that has been there more than a few years and this includes management. Most retail employees don't even last 2-3 years. A quick Google search just showed me the average annual retail turnover is 67%. That means 2 out of every 3 move on to a different job in any given year.

As for prices, I'll be the first to admit I am a cheap bastard when it comes to my hobby so most retail prices are not attractive to me. I have a friend who can get me anything shooting and reloading related at wholesale prices. Sometimes wholesale is still more than the retail giant who buys by the truck load at steep discounts. Overall I find Trop prices to be competitive but the friend connection and the frequent steals I find at auctions takes non sale retail out of the picture. I still manage to find great deals just about every time I stop in the store. They consistently have good prices on AR mags, 2 weeks ago I found small rifle and pistol primers 25% off ($21/1000 after sale), and the used gun resale prices are great. In the past year 2 yrs I've picked up a used M1 Carbine (non milsurp) for under $300, .45 Colt and .17 HMR Contender barrels for $140 ea, a 1966 Winchester 94 .30-30 in fantastic condition for under $200, and a few others.
    Last edited by MT1; July 18th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast