Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Rail and better sights/optic on an AK

Arsenal to be exact. I was thinking a TWS (Texas Weapon Systems) rail and adding some glass to it along with their peep sight. The OEM sights suck, IMO, and leave something to be desired. Granted, my eyesight sucks so I need help period but I was wondering what the PAFOA thinks is a good approach. All advice welcomed!

Default Re: Rail and better sights/optic on an AK

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    Arsenal to be exact. I was thinking a TWS (Texas Weapon Systems) rail and adding some glass to it along with their peep sight. The OEM sights suck, IMO, and leave something to be desired. Granted, my eyesight sucks so I need help period but I was wondering what the PAFOA thinks is a good approach. All advice welcomed!

TWS is a quaility product---no doubt. But, if you're willing to go side rail mount the AK 300 system is tough to beat. I really like mine and did a review of it not too long ago if you're looking for more info on it.

(Wayne County)

I do have TWS. Solid stuff but requires removal of your rear sight. Means another $40 for their peep sight.
    This one is a great alternative. Midwest Industries AK Side Mount
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...rch=side+mount
    Last edited by BB MBD; July 12th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

(Beaver County)

I can second the AK300 mount. I have one on my Saiga 5.45 with a Strikefire and she co-witnesses perfectly. I also have a TWS on my Saiga x39, it's great too, but the iron sight it comes with does not co-witness (maybe with a bottomed out SPARC/Aimpoint Micro?). Chaos is going to introduce a rail for the AK rifles like they have for their S-12, the Titan. Probably would add too much weight but it's an option.

(Washington County)

Third vote for RS regulate.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I can second the AK300 mount. I have one on my Saiga 5.45 with a Strikefire and she co-witnesses perfectly. I also have a TWS on my Saiga x39, it's great too, but the iron sight it comes with does not co-witness (maybe with a bottomed out SPARC/Aimpoint Micro?). Chaos is going to introduce a rail for the AK rifles like they have for their S-12, the Titan. Probably would add too much weight but it's an option.
    The Titan looks badass though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoIEG8lBdI4

(Berks County)

I'm in the midst of all of this also, trying to decide on just what to do. One issue I have is having trouble focusing on the red dot mounted above the receiver. The whole middle age eyesight thing. I do much better with it mounted farther away.

When I do that on my current Saiga quad rail setup, I can't co-witness. Others have suggested the Ultimak rail that replaces the existing gas tube. Looks very low profile and able to achieve co-witness with a red dot between the front and rear sights.
    Last edited by esh21167; July 13th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I'm in the midst of all of this also, trying to decide on just what to do. One issue I have is having trouble focusing on the red dot mounted above the receiver. The whole middle age eyesight thing. I do much better with it mounted farther away.

When I do that on my current Saiga quad rail setup, I can't co-witness. Others have suggested the Ultimak rail that replaces the existing gas tube. Looks very low profile and able to achieve co-witness with a red dot between the front and rear sights.
    The Ultimak is great as well; especially if you don't shoot corrosive ammo.

(Northampton County)

Well if you want to shoot corrosive ammo with the ultimak you will have to be atleast willing to dip your rifle and optic in a soapy bucket of water in order to clean the corrosive salts out of it.or atleast spray it down very good with soapy water.

(York County)

i use a midwest industries mini red dot mount. fits in your rear sight groove. can mount a aimpoint or a primary arms (what i use and much much cheaper but very reliable) come with co witnessing rear site. its cost effective and functional. note: i drill/tapped my trunion to hard fasten it. i can send photos if your really interested. i swear by mine.

photo link http://vtsupply.com/images/akmdm2.jpg
    Last edited by OfficerDailey; July 14th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast