Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Where did these go?

Recently, I've been watching older television series such as Get Smart and Starsky & Hutch. One thing I noticed was the use of revolvers with screw on silencers. I've never personally seen a setup like that, but was that actually popular at one time? I'm assuming if it was in various shows, then it must've been used.

If that actually worked well, especially with the proper ammo, then you'd have a super quiet firearm that wouldn't leave any casings behind.

On a side note, yes, I'm enjoying these older shows immensely. As corny as they may be to some degree, they're proving to be much more entertaining than most stuff on tv today. I don't even have to close the door when kids are around!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Where did these go?

A suppressor on a revolver is useless. Lets face it, TV is sometimes not entirely accurate.

There is one revolver I have seen that was successfully suppressed. It was a Nagant 7.62 revolver I believe. It only worked because the cylinder made contact with the barrel. That is why 99% of revolvers cannot be suppressed. The gap between the cylinder and barrel allows all / most of the noise to evade the suppressor's chambers.

(Cumberland County)

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the info and the video. That was very cool.

So, I'm guessing a silenced revolver was a gimmick at one time that didn't work as advertised and was simply used as a prop in shows because it looked cool?

(Schuylkill County)

Larry Storch for president! F-Troop rules.

So, I'm guessing a silenced revolver was a gimmick at one time that didn't work as advertised and was simply used as a prop in shows because it looked cool?[/QUOTE]
    The truth probably is that the film company owned the shows and used the same prop over and over. The public was not very educated about silencers and accepted what ever was shown.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    So, I'm guessing a silenced revolver was a gimmick at one time that didn't work as advertised and was simply used as a prop in shows because it looked cool?
    The truth probably is that the film company owned the shows and used the same prop over and over. The public was not very educated about silencers and accepted what ever was shown.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, the "sound" that the suppressed shot made was a sound effect rather than a real shot of any kind. I remember some TV show taking place in Africa somewhere in which the bad guy was using a "revolver with a silencer" to commit murders without waking the currently peaceful warriors (the coward!). The sound was a ping instead of the usual "pffft." I was like 8 years old at the time, so I did believe it. My friend scoffed at this because the silencer in Dr. No was the traditional "pffft" even though that was on a semi; my friend considered Dr. No more authoritative than the Africa TV show. Typical inane conversation of 8 YO boys. This thread just made that memory pop into my head.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.