Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Educating a Foreign Student

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Be careful. If they are here under a non-immigrant visa they may well be prohibited persons. (ref 18 USC 922)

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person-
    (5) who, being an alien-
    (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));
    to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    (y) Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant Visas.-
    (1) Definitions.-In this subsection-
    (A) the term “alien” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(3)); and

(B) the term “nonimmigrant visa” has the same meaning as in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)).
    (2) Exceptions.-Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and (s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is-
    (A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;
    IANAL, so correct me if I am wrong - but the usage of those bolded words applies to possession independently, doesn't it? Isn't it a different matter if a non-prohibited person (me, for instance) were to maintain possession while allowing an individual to shoot? Possession, shipping, receiving - those are specific actions. "Prohibited" is a term covering more than those actions. Again, IANAL so this is just my current interpretation, subject to further education.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    whats an illegal gun?
    A brand new MP-5 in civilian hands?

(Montgomery County)

I was born in Ukraine and I must say, Europeans hate guns.
    After getting married, my wife really got me into guns and it pretty much opened up the flood-gates.
    I've had a hard time explaining to my family why I have a gun, why I carry and why I feel so strongly about protecting my rights. They tend to stay on the "why do you need it" side of the debate, but slowly they're coming around. I've taken my dad shooting, my mom was close to coming to the range with me as well, my best friends and heck half of the Ukrainian church now owns and some even carry guns!!

So I guess I shouldn't say that Europeans hate guns, they've been brainwashed to think that only the police, military and criminals have guns. It's our job to change that view.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by vavulaka View Post
    I was born in Ukraine and I must say, Europeans hate guns.
    YMMV, my friend

Once at my friends birthday party (in NJ!!!) someone brough up a gun subject. THere were 5 or so couples there. Common educated russian and ukrainian IT professionals. Girls went very extatic about couple of times they went out shooting, said they had lots of fun and they definitely have to do it more often. Go figure

I'd say an average eastern oiropeans distribution of gun views somewahat corresponds to what we see here. Some are definitely hardcore antis. Some are big fans of liberties and concept of self defense and most are somewhere in between, appreciating guns and shooting sport to a degree, but believing that this country needs more gun control and shit like that.
    Je suis déplorable

After or Kosovo deployment, a soldier I served with decided to take a trip across Russia, and then through China. As he was taking a train through Russia, he ended up talking to some Russian soldiers of various officer ranks. When they found out he was American, the first thing he was asked was "have you ever been shot?" Confused he asked whether they meant in combat, and the response was "No. I meant while walking down the street. With all of those guns and shootings I figured everybody in America would have been shot by now". My friend responded that besides his grandfather's double barreled shotgun, and the various guns he was exposed to in the military, he had never fired any and didn't even know anyone that he was aware of that owned one. The Russian guys got a good laugh out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyC View Post
    A brand new MP-5 in civilian hands?
    are we talking owning or shooting here?

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    are we talking owning or shooting here?
    I have no idea what he's talking about. The conversation took a hard right turn LOL

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    IANAL, so correct me if I am wrong - but the usage of those bolded words applies to possession independently, doesn't it? Isn't it a different matter if a non-prohibited person (me, for instance) were to maintain possession while allowing an individual to shoot? Possession, shipping, receiving - those are specific actions. "Prohibited" is a term covering more than those actions. Again, IANAL so this is just my current interpretation, subject to further education.
    We had this discussion a while back when I posted many photos of my taking foreign visitors to the range. Along with the 2 Australian swimmers who went to the range and posed with guns (and if the law wanted to make an example of anyone, that would be the time to do it), as well as the fact that my range welcome my visitors with open arms, and not seeing the law prohibiting non-migrating aliens to shoot based on my understanding of what tl_3237 posted, I have absolutely no reservation whatsoever to continue to take foreign visitors to the range to shoot.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    We had this discussion a while back when I posted many photos of my taking foreign visitors to the range. Along with the 2 Australian swimmers who went to the range and posed with guns (and if the law wanted to make an example of anyone, that would be the time to do it), as well as the fact that my range welcome my visitors with open arms, and not seeing the law prohibiting non-migrating aliens to shoot based on my understanding of what tl_3237 posted, I have absolutely no reservation whatsoever to continue to take foreign visitors to the range to shoot.

Al
    Thanks, Al
    That was my interpretation of the situation as well. I don't have the money or opportunity to take them shooting at the moment, but I'm not worried about any part of the situation.

(Jefferson County)

Back in 1994 I worked with a Russian college student who had to fulfill so many hours of work(unpaid to very low wage) for his student visa. We dragged him out to all parts of Greene County as we were engineering telephone poles and cables.

We had stumbled upon a guy walking a dirt road with a revolver on his hip and at first the Russian was a bit taken back. ..not totally horrified, but just shocked. He asked my dad and me if that was legal, which we affirmed. He was like, "That's cool! I wish we could do that back home." That is when dad and I looked at each other and smiled, then synchronously pulled up our shirts and said - "Look, we can carry this way too". The Russian then went "Holy crap! You guys too? All this time? This place is great!"

He was a great kid. Loved to laugh and loved the American lifestyle.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast