Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Unresponsive Gunsmith

Based on comments here, I found a gunsmith close to my home. I called and left a message briefly describing my handgun problem as well as my name and telephone number. That was about 2 weeks ago and still no response. I understand that the individual may be quite busy and may not want additional business; however, is it too much to expect a return call?

This individual may be a great gunsmith; however, I will never know. I will not call back. Am I unreasonable to expect a return call?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Unresponsive Gunsmith

It's your gun and you need work done. It's up to you to call back or not. I know sometimes I forget things or maybe a emergency and it has slipped his mind. Someone else may have gotten the message and never told him. You never know. If it was me and it's close, I would stop in to talk to him, this way you can see the shop, how he operates, clean or messy, you get the picture.

(Chester County)

See if you can get help at "Handgunner" in Topton (near Kutztown). Its not all that far away.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

I would give it another shot, as sometimes things do happen. If the second try doesn't work, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dussy View Post
    Based on comments here, I found a gunsmith close to my home. I called and left a message briefly describing my handgun problem as well as my name and telephone number. That was about 2 weeks ago and still no response. I understand that the individual may be quite busy and may not want additional business; however, is it too much to expect a return call?

This individual may be a great gunsmith; however, I will never know. I will not call back. Am I unreasonable to expect a return call?
    Superior Gunsmithing in Robesonia, PA. J.C is good at what he does, responsive, and motivated. It also helps when you walk in there and you see a clean shop.
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    It's your gun and you need work done. It's up to you to call back or not. I know sometimes I forget things or maybe a emergency and it has slipped his mind. Someone else may have gotten the message and never told him. You never know. If it was me and it's close, I would stop in to talk to him, this way you can see the shop, how he operates, clean or messy, you get the picture.
    I understand; however, I believe it is important to have a reliable and consistent procedure in place to respond to potential customer contacts. Forgetting to return a call to a potential customer does not enhance my confidence in his abilities. New customers are what keeps his business alive. In addition, there are other gunsmiths in my area.

For myself, I have a general rule:

if you're not that concerned or motivated to get my job, just how motivated are you going to be to do my job once you have it?

Having said that, I'm not sure one unaswered message would be the end for me. Many things could have happened that caused this other than poor motivation or customer service. Now, if a second try brings similar results.....
    “A Republic, if you can keep it.” - Benjamin Franklin

(Delaware County)

I am not excusing this smith's actions in not returning calls. Gunsmiths worth anything close to their weight are very busy working on several guns on their to do list, and such shops are rarely if ever "clean". In a perfect world, all calls would be returned, but in the real world, smiths returning calls is not a priority. I am personal friends with two smiths that have been around since the early 70s. I am not happy to report their behavior, but basically, unless the missed call is from a parts house that now has the piece they are looking for to complete a job, calls generally are not returned. One smith in chester county will only answer his phone 2 hours a day four days a week. Last I checked, he was not standing in any unemployment lines.

Try back and they will answer without a good number of attempts.

Competent full service gunsmiths are a rare breed, and regretfully they know it.
    Last edited by c45man; July 2nd, 2013 at 12:59 PM.

(Lycoming County)

I think id look for another guy.