Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default range practice in the backyard

Hi I am new to the forum and had a few basic questions. I live in PA, and was wondering what the laws are on using your land for a personal shooting range were. Is there a certain amount of land needed to do this? are there noise laws against this? Im very new to this, and know that I will not be doing this anytime soon as I haven't purchased my new home yet, I was just curious if the 10 acre property for sale I was looking at could legally be used for me to make a small range for myself. Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Luke

(Indiana County)

Default Re: range practice in the backyard

According to State Law, there's no such restrictions.

However, it all depends on what Township/Borough/City you live in within the County.

Your local government is the one that makes the rules on such.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    According to State Law, there's no such restrictions.

However, it all depends on what Township/Borough/City you live in within the County.

Your local government is the one that makes the rules on such.
    ^^^Exactly, this is correct^^^^
    Jesus is Lord !

(Bucks County)

Agreed... check your local laws before buying or shooting.... it will pay off if you end up having a PITA neighbor.

You will have to check the local laws. I shoot long distance (600 yds) at my brothers house in The Peoples Republic of Jersey. My grandfathers farm is now owned by a gun club. There is a neighbor who call the Storm troopers every time. They pull in, and tell us they got called. We ask if they want to shoot, and since they are on duty they normally say No. It has been a club since the 40's. I guess it is grandfathered in, because they never tell us to stop. I repeat this is in Jersey.
    I normal don't go there though, but it is the only place close that I can shoot at that distance. I am limited to which firearms I can take over there though. Those I have to shoot here in PA where they are legal at 100 yds. The legal range is five minutes down the street.

(Juniata County)

The above posts are all correct.

You must also be a 150 yards from someone elses residence, unless they have given you permission otherwise.

Generally as long as you have a safe backstop and are not shooting at the homes of others, you're good to go. This website is a real treasure; you're more than welcome to stay, read, & hangout.

Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

MPOTEC_OC_Update_2009.pdf

2013-14 Hunting & Trapping Digest & Wildlife Annual

Quote Originally Posted by Metaldemon7 View Post
    You will have to check the local laws. I shoot long distance (600 yds) at my brothers house in The Peoples Republic of Jersey. My grandfathers farm is now owned by a gun club. There is a neighbor who call the Storm troopers every time. They pull in, and tell us they got called. We ask if they want to shoot, and since they are on duty they normally say No. It has been a club since the 40's. I guess it is grandfathered in, because they never tell us to stop. I repeat this is in Jersey.
    I normal don't go there though, but it is the only place close that I can shoot at that distance. I am limited to which firearms I can take over there though. Those I have to shoot here in PA where they are legal at 100 yds. The legal range is five minutes down the street.
    There is a gun Club in Mifflin County with a 1000 yard range. Might be a hike for you, but it isn't NJ.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; July 14th, 2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: correction from wew3. When did that change?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercat97 View Post
    it will pay off if you end up having a PITA neighbor.
    I like beef!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-jbp View Post
    I like beef!
    I bet you do! Especially beef sausage.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    You must also be a 100 yards from someone elses residence, unless they have given you permission otherwise.
    Actually, it's 150 yards, but it only applies if you are hunting.

Bill

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=575665&mode=2

GAME
    Title 34

Sec. 2505. Safety zones.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title or to any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to special categories of permits), it is unlawful for any person, other than the lawful occupant, while hunting game or wildlife, taking furbearers of any kind, or pursuing any other privilege granted by this title, to hunt for, take, trap, pursue, disturb or otherwise chase any game or wildlife or to discharge, for any reason, any firearm, arrow or other deadly weapon within or through a safety zone, or to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is within the safety zone without the specific advance permission of the lawful occupant thereof.

(b) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $200 nor more $500. A second or subsequent offense within two calendar years is a summary offense punishable by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.

(c) Definition.--As used in this section the term "safety zone" means:
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2), the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or camp occupied by human beings, or any barn, stable, or other building used in connection therewith or any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.
    (2) When applied to properly licensed persons hunting with bow and arrow or crossbow and persons properly licensed for falconry, the area within 50 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any occupied dwelling house, residence or other building or camp occupied by human beings or any barn, stable or other building used in connection therewith and the area within 150 yards around and that area which is below the highest point of any attached or detached playground of any school, nursery school or day-care center.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    I bet you do! Especially beef sausage.
    I like sausage; but I was thinking of Clint Eastwood's character in Hangem' High . He shoots one of the men who hanged him early on in the movie and then says to the constable who asks him if he's ready to transport the body ....

"No... I think I'll have a steak first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast