Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Looking to purchase a custom 45acp 1911 - need opinions on which brand

I'm in the market for a custom 1911. Does anyone have any experience with the brands Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Les Baer? What's your preference and why? Is one brand better that the other? Thx

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Looking to purchase a custom 45acp 1911 - need opinions on which brand

I could write a novel on this question. If you go semi-custom with Ed Brown or Wilson Combat you are going to be in for about 3k. I don't spend 3k on any 1911 that isn't going to have the exact features that I want. Be prepared to wait 18 months for your gun. If you go this route get the Wilson.

If you want a true custom gun that will shoot with any gun out there buy a Springfield NM marked mill spec. Pick out exactly what options you want on it. You can pick parts from Wilson, Ed Brown, Ted Yost, Harrison Design, you name it. You can pick just about any finish that you want. Send the gun the the Springfield Armory Custom Shop. Wait three months....send them a check for $2,000.00-$2,500.00, depending on the specs of your build. A few days later you will receive a true custom that will take a golf ball off a fence post at 25 yards. You could also send them a Colt 70 series reproduction for the base gun......same result. They will tighten the frame to slide fit, install a true match barrel and bushing, the options are endless and the quality of work is outstanding.

I have owned at least one 1911 from every manufacturer that you mentioned. You will absolutely love what you get back from SACS. Do research on the Springfield Professional if you are on the fence. There is a reason the FBI HRT and SWAT teams use Springfield Professionals.

Regards,

D.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Looking to purchase a custom 45acp 1911 - need opinions on which brand

Quality-wise, EB, WC, and LB are all pretty close to one another. I have a Les Baer Premier II that is absolutely stellar. I carry a Dan Wesson Valor Bobtail, and it is very close to the Baer in every regard, for about $500 less. It all depends on what you're willing to spend.

Is a $3,000 WC "better" than a $2000 Baer? It's not worth the extra grand to me. In my opinion, you get to the point of diminishing returns with carry 1911s around the $2500 mark. But that's just me.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Quality-wise, EB, WC, and LB are all pretty close to one another. I have a Les Baer Premier II that is absolutely stellar. I carry a Dan Wesson Valor Bobtail, and it is very close to the Baer in every regard, for about $500 less. It all depends on what you're willing to spend.

Is a $3,000 WC "better" than a $2000 Baer? It's not worth the extra grand to me. In my opinion, you get to the point of diminishing returns with carry 1911s around the $2500 mark. But that's just me.
    Yup, for $1,600.00 you can get a Baer or a Wesson that will shoot with them all. It just depends on how you want them "dressed".

(Lancaster County)

other then to say I have a custom 1911 and that you get to spend a big wad of cash.I don't think your getting anything thats a whole lot better then a good colt,kimber ,springfield armory and a couple others.yes fit and finish is is better it better be for what your paying.but I don't think that the avge person is going to shoot that much better with a wilson combat compared to a S&W pro.one cost $3000 the other $1000.I've had the chance to shoot an ed brown and a wilson combat both cost over $3000 very well made and fit and finish wow but shooting them compared to my kimber desert warrior well I and they didn't see any different in the group size as we passed them around and we are descent shots with a handgun.in the end your choice and your money.if you got that kind of cash laiding around to spend go for it.I'll buy the cheaper colt and take that $2000 left over and buy ammo.but thats just me.crazywolf

(Beaver County)

Could you define what you mean by custom?

As the others have (basically) said, you may not need to drop $3,000+ on a Wilson to get what you are looking for. To me a Springfield TRP operator has just about every feature I'd ask for in a 1911. But if I was gonna spend $3,000+ it would be the way Wilson Guy recommended.

(Delaware County)

Guncrafter Industries will make a very nice pistol to your spec's with a much shorter waiting time and a lower buy price than Wilson. No, you don't have to order a .50 cal. They make some very nice .45's and now are making some 9 mm's. Contact George at http://www.migunslingers.com/ . He is an ACE. Wilson, GI, any high end pistol you want......

Yes, I have a Wilson custom CQB Elite. It shoot quite well. Yes, I have a GI, and it shoots quite well. Their quality matches anything out there. Yes,,, I have several other "high" end ones.

At 69, I'm not willing to wait for 12 to 24 months for a pistol.

EDIT: The Wilson Guy speaks the truth.............
    Last edited by thundrr1; July 9th, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Lehigh County)

Thx for all the inputs. I was willing to spend $2.5k, but if the LP's are not much of a difference to the WC and EB, then I'll consider LP since they're about $500 cheaper. I currently own a Sig 1911 and it shoots pretty decent after getting a trigger job. Would these high-end 1911's be that much better than my Sig?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by sl315 View Post
    Thx for all the inputs. I was willing to spend $2.5k, but if the LP's are not much of a difference to the WC and EB, then I'll consider LP since they're about $500 cheaper. I currently own a Sig 1911 and it shoots pretty decent after getting a trigger job. Would these high-end 1911's be that much better than my Sig?
    Yes, they will be "better" than your Sig, in both quality of parts and amount of fitting.

This would be my Huckleberry:
    http://www.lesbaer.com/CusCarry.html

Buy that and spend the extra $500 on beer, ice cream, and ammo.
    Last edited by sprrdhawk44; July 9th, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast