Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Some AR questions

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I would imagine you would swap out the parts to put a normal mag release in there. But then that starts to eat into the price a bit. I would shop around first. You also only get one ten round mag. Good for bench rest shooting (or possibly hunting outside PA), but not much else.
    Swap out $5 worth of parts and the "Bullet Button" is gone.
    It's just a mag release button that is too fat to sink into the hole and push back the mag release rod. It's idiot simple.

(Cambria County)

Not everyone can dump over a grand on a rifle. The nice thing about the AR platform, is that you can buy a cheaper one, that will work well. Then, as money allows, you can upgrade the components on it to turn it into that much better rifle that you wished you could have afforded in the first place. But in the mean time, you at least have a rifle if you need one.

Also, this method allows you to build the AR up exactly the way you want it to be. I buy something new for mine every payday. It is slowly turning into a very sweet rifle. But until I'm done, I still have a rifle to shoot and defend myself with.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Montgomery County)

The S&W is a very reliable rifle and very under-rated. However, that price is at least $200 too high.

I'd look for a better price, might as well also try to find the model that's already Magpul'd out if it strikes your fancy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Not everyone can dump over a grand on a rifle. The nice thing about the AR platform, is that you can buy a cheaper one, that will work well. Then, as money allows, you can upgrade the components on it to turn it into that much better rifle that you wished you could have afforded in the first place. But in the mean time, you at least have a rifle if you need one.

Also, this method allows you to build the AR up exactly the way you want it to be. I buy something new for mine every payday. It is slowly turning into a very sweet rifle. But until I'm done, I still have a rifle to shoot and defend myself with.
    I get those looking at sub $700 rifles might be a stretch to get to $1100 especially if its a pinking rifle. But the OP was looking at $700-800 guns overpriced to $900-1100 already.

At $900 for someone who wants a home defense rifle (the OP stated this later) I think it's well worth it to save a bit more for a rifle that will never need upgraded for reliability.

Obviously stuff like slings, RDS and white lights will always add cost down the road.

Also the 2013 Colt 6920 does not come with the carry handle that everyone usually replaces when they get a RDS and comes with 30 round PMAG vs the 20 USGI mags that usually end up at the bottom of your range bag.
    Last edited by QuackXP; January 8th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

Also the 2013 Colt 6920 does not come with the carry handle that everyone usually replaces when they get a RDS and comes with 30 round PMAG vs the 20 USGI mags that usually end up at the bottom of your range bag.
    You're correct here; that's what I picked up a few months back. It comes as a flat-top upper with a Magpul Flip-up Rear Sight. I'm glad I got it vs the detach carry handle one.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Then, as money allows, you can upgrade the components on it to turn it into that much better rifle that you wished you could have afforded in the first place.
    If you only going to buy one AR why not make it a good AR? Price difference is only 300-500 dollars. You will never be able to upgrade all important components of your cheap rifle for that price.

Quality barrel is around 250-300
    Quality BCG - 130-180
    Gas block - 30
    free floating rail - 100-300
    muzzle break - 30-150

Plus if you cant change these components your self you need to count gunsmiths fees.

I recently builded an AR from all YHM parts.

Complete lower with stock - 200
    Upper rcvr - 100
    BCG/CH - 150
    flutted 16" Barrel - 200
    Handguard - 100
    gas block front sight sight/rear sight combo - 90
    muzzle - 30

870$ for a quality components rifle that is just a tad over 6lb. Brownells sells similar uppers only for that price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123