Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default 300 BLK Upper and Suppressor Suggestions

So, I've decided to build another SBR. The lower receiver is not a big deal, but I'm debating on what upper to purchase. I'm building a .300 AAC Blackout SBR and also purchasing a suppressor to go along with it. I would like to say that I'm in no rush to purchase a suppressor, but the idea of having an ultra-quiet rifle sounds so sweet.

UPPERS:
    So far, I'm looking at an AAC 9" .300 BLK upper. I like this idea because it's by Advanced Armament who invented the .300 BLK round. I'm also looking at a Daniel Defense 10.3" DDM4 upper. I also like this one because Daniel Defense makes some good quality products.

SUPPRESSORS:
    The main two I'm looking at here are the AAC 762-SDN-6 and the YHM 4300 Phantom LT. I know little about suppressors and would like some input. If I go with the AAC upper, I'm tempted just to go with the 762-SDN-6 just because the two AAC products were manufactured to work well together. But, the price of the YHM suppressor is also a tempting factor.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: 300 BLK Upper and Suppressor Suggestions

DD, Noveske, Wilson Combat, PWS, KAC, Spikes, (there are a few more than I can't think of right now) or put one together yourself.

AAC Upper = Bushmaster upper with KAC rail. Don't believe me? Look in the manual.

I have an SDN-6. It's ok. I probably should have bought a Gemtech or Surefire in retrospect. The SDN-6 works well with Noveske barrels.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Montgomery County)

I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago and the main reason I did not go with the AAC SDN-6 was the mounting system. After reading the issues associated with their mounts, I decided to go with the SureFire SOCOM762-RC.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    AAC Upper = Bushmaster upper with KAC rail. Don't believe me? Look in the manual.
    I just read the manual. Interesting. Are you saying the AAC is a bad choice or are you just pointing it out? I also looked up Knights Armament and saw that they had some sweet looking .300 BLK uppers as well. I didn't see any prices on their website, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago and the main reason I did not go with the AAC SDN-6 was the mounting system. After reading the issues associated with their mounts, I decided to go with the SureFire SOCOM762-RC.
    I'm not an expert on suppressors by any means. But I know SureFire makes quality stuff. If only their suppressors didn't cost almost $2000.

(Armstrong County)

Will this be a 300Blk only or multi-roll 30cal can?

Are you dead set on QD?

SDN-6 is a decent can and all around work horse. Uses same mounts as the 556 giving a lot of versatility.

YHM 4300 30cal LT is pretty much the same size, weight, and multi-caliber spectrum. Comes with a mount and extra mounts are cheaper.
    I havnt heard one, only from YHM info and fingering one at SHOT.

Personally, i have an SDN-6 and a Liberty Leonidas integral upper for my 300Blks.
    The SDN-6 doesn't see 300Blk any more since the Leonidas, but worked pretty well when it did.
    The Leonidas is noticeably more quiet than the SDN-6, but leaves you with a 300Blk only system. That may not be for everyone.

The AR platform is "loud" no matter what can you use if want it to cycle. If you make it a single shot by adjusting the gas system, then you will notice different cans being better than others.
    Other than that, pick a can that suites your needs and budget.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Delaware County)

“The AR platform is "loud" no matter what can you use if want it to cycle. If you make it a single shot by adjusting the gas system, then you will notice different cans being better than others.”

This is my experience also. I’m running a 9’AAC with a Gemtech Sandstorm and it’s quite for what it is with subs but if you’re looking for Hollywood quite you might be disappointed with the AR platform your best bet for real quite is with a bolt action or .22. I’m also not crazy about quick detach suppressors I much prefer a direct thread can they are more versatile IMO because there not dependent on expensive proprietary flash adaptors. They can simply be threded on to any weapon with the correct thread pitch. If this is your first suppressor you gonna want to use the can on every .30cal and sub .30cal weapon you own trust me! It gets to be a pain in the ass and expensive if you have to thread the bbl and buy a $90 to $150 dollar adaptor every time.
    Last edited by K31; July 10th, 2013 at 09:11 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by shademtarmory View Post
    I'm not an expert on suppressors by any means. But I know SureFire makes quality stuff. If only their suppressors didn't cost almost $2000.
    Never pay full price for a suppressor! You can find them for around $1550 from online retailers. Honestly, it was more than I wanted to spend on a suppressor but after I did my research and talked to a few people, I felt that it was a good choice for my purposes. I'm sure my kids will love it when I had it down to them.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Will this be a 300Blk only or multi-roll 30cal can?

Are you dead set on QD?

SDN-6 is a decent can and all around work horse. Uses same mounts as the 556 giving a lot of versatility.

YHM 4300 30cal LT is pretty much the same size, weight, and multi-caliber spectrum. Comes with a mount and extra mounts are cheaper.
    I havnt heard one, only from YHM info and fingering one at SHOT.

Personally, i have an SDN-6 and a Liberty Leonidas integral upper for my 300Blks.
    The SDN-6 doesn't see 300Blk any more since the Leonidas, but worked pretty well when it did.
    The Leonidas is noticeably more quiet than the SDN-6, but leaves you with a 300Blk only system. That may not be for everyone.

The AR platform is "loud" no matter what can you use if want it to cycle. If you make it a single shot by adjusting the gas system, then you will notice different cans being better than others.
    Other than that, pick a can that suites your needs and budget.
    Well, I'm still kicking it around. It'll probably be a multi-roll can. I have a 6.8 SPC SBR right now and will probably want to play with subsonic ammo with that as well. I am pretty well set on QD. I know there may be pros and cons to each, but that's one thing I'm pretty well set on.

I just checked out that Leonidas. That's pretty sweet. Thanks. Now I have something else to think about. But seriously, I never knew about that until now. That may be something of interest to me. The .300 BLK I'm putting together would mainly be for suppressed shooting. Although, since I don't know much about cans, I just wonder if you're supposed to or able to take the Leonidas apart for cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by K31 View Post
    This is my experience also. I’m running a 9’AAC with a Gemtech Sandstorm and it’s quite for what it is with subs but if you’re looking for Hollywood quite you might be disappointed with the AR platform your best bet for real quite is with a bolt action or .22. I’m also not crazy about quick detach suppressors I much prefer a direct thread can they are more versatile IMO because there not dependent on expensive proprietary flash adaptors. They can simply be threded on to any weapon with the correct thread pitch. If this is your first suppressor you gonna want to use the can on every .30cal and sub .30cal weapon you own trust me! It gets to be a pain in the ass and expensive if you have to thread the bbl and buy a $90 to $150 dollar adaptor every time.
    I pretty much figured it wouldn't be Hollywood quiet. For that I may eventually get a 9mm Glock and run subsonic ammo through a suppressor for that. But that's way down the line after I get more money.

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Never pay full price for a suppressor! You can find them for around $1550 from online retailers. Honestly, it was more than I wanted to spend on a suppressor but after I did my research and talked to a few people, I felt that it was a good choice for my purposes. I'm sure my kids will love it when I had it down to them.
    I don't intend to. I do see that places online offer good prices. It's odd how I'll pay over $2,000 for a quality AR, but I'm cheap on how much I'll pay for a can.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by shademtarmory View Post
    Well, I'm still kicking it around. It'll probably be a multi-roll can. I have a 6.8 SPC SBR right now and will probably want to play with subsonic ammo with that as well. I am pretty well set on QD. I know there may be pros and cons to each, but that's one thing I'm pretty well set on.

I just checked out that Leonidas. That's pretty sweet. Thanks. Now I have something else to think about. But seriously, I never knew about that until now. That may be something of interest to me. The .300 BLK I'm putting together would mainly be for suppressed shooting. Although, since I don't know much about cans, I just wonder if you're supposed to or able to take the Leonidas apart for cleaning.
    Then a true 7.62/308/30cal can is what you should get.
    QD 30cal down to 556, so many choices LOL...good luck.
    Out of the 6-8 large manufactures you are not going to make a bad choice, it will just come down to versatility and adaptability of the can for your needs.

Yes the Leonidas is a take apart can. I had mine not welded and pinned to the barrel, so i can take the baffle stack off, and run it on an SBR. Liberty offers both options, for those in non-SBR legal states.
    The main purpose is to test hand loads with out worrying about baffle strikes during load development. It really has nothing to do with cleaning for me. I will keep the threads clean, other than that, shoot it.
    Handles both supers and subs with ease, semi or full.

~17" barrel with the can on
    the tube itself is about 13.5"
    8" Noveske 300Blk barrel
    Seekins/Spikes 12" BAR

HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Snyder County)

That sure is a sweet setup. I wanted to get a short upper (10.3" or even 8.5"). I guess with a suppressor attached you're still adding another almost 8", depending on the can. So in all reality, a Leonidas is about the same size (if not smaller) length barrel as a typical SBR barrel with a can attached.

The more and more I look at the Leonidas, I keep thinking that may be the way to go. I've got a while to think about it, but it's going to be a hard decision. You may have just helped Liberty make a sale here. Then again, I wouldn't mind having a suppressor to play with on my 6.8mm.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast