Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Removing squib from pistol barrel

I had a real spooky experience today. I was shooting my good and faithful M&P 40c which I've run a few hundred cast lead rounds through with minimal trouble so far. Well, the one in a million thing happened and I ended up with a squib lodging itself in the barrel. Never happened to me before but knew that it happens. Have no idea what happened other than a weak primer detonation--the powder burned a little and when I racked the slide the case came out all sooty and blackened and I was baffled. GREAT but unusual thing about it was that the bullet lodged just in the very first bit of the barrel so I couldn't chamber a round after it which would have had a BAD result. Must be my guardian angel looking out for me but with an annoying sense of humor. And it is STUCK BAD! I can't get the stupid bullet to move even a little bit even with a bolt and a hammer.

Any advice on this? Isn't lead supposed to be soft and thus fairly easy to get out? Is there a way to get squibs out of pistol barrels myself, or is this purely one for the gunsmith? Thankfully I purchased a service plan with this gun so if I can't get it out safely and simply it's going to the shop ASAP as this is my daily carry gun. (I do have a backup, thankfully.)
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Removing squib from pistol barrel

If it is stuck in there really bad, you may want to put a few drops of oil down the bore and let is soak for a little while. Also, the harder you hit the end of the bullet, the more it will lodge itself into the lands and grooves. You may have to drill a relief hole through the center of the bullet to prevent compression of the lead as you try to drive it out.

(Lancaster County)

I would think lead melts far before steel starts goin wonky. butane torch get it warm then smack it out and clean barrel bore and chamber very well. oh and thank christ again that subsequent round would not chamber, you got very lucky this time and would assume youll take a peek down the bore next time one fizzles out. that coulda been bad man, im glad your ok.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

if you have a blackpowder ball starter id give that a try that way it cups the bullet some

(Bucks County)

Shoot a blank? *shrug*

Sparxfly72 just recently posted that he had to heat his barrel to remove a squib. Good thing is, lead will soften a bit long before the steel barrel will be hurt...just don't over do it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lancaster County)

Thank you all very much, your help has resulted in my success in removing this cursed problem. I drilled a couple holes in the back end of the bullet to loosen it up some as suggested and then drove it back out through the chamber with a long bolt. I'll DEFINITELY be more familiar with the situation if God forbid I ever have another squib happen--I almost didn't know what to look for at the time and only noticed the malfunction.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Jefferson County)

Stand the barrel up, fill barrel from muzzle with oil, get a bronze or brass rod, make a somewhat tight wad on the end of the rod, drive rod down the barrel.

It will work like a hydraulic piston and push the bullet out, without deforming the bullet(which can cause more resistance).

Same method works with stuck cases sometimes, so long as you don't blow out the primer.

Never drive from the breech end. It is easier to recrown the muzzle if you screw up than it is to fix a screwed up chamber.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I have been told to always use a wood dowel with the widest possible demension from the muzzle end and avoid anything metal if possible for obvious reasons. I am glad you are alright. It sounds like you skipped your powder charge on that round. Exactly what I did when I had my squib. That bullet was propelled only by the primer detonation, that is why it was so close to the chamber. Glad you got it worked out.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Shoot a blank? *shrug*
    Bad advice! Do not do this! A bullet already lodged in the rifling is much harder to start moving than one that is not engaged in the rifling. You can have a serious pressure spike and destroy the pistol, as well as some of your body parts.

Don't post stuff about gunsmithing that will get people hurt.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast