Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Airsoft pistols........Definitely not just for kids.

First of all before recently I never even thought about buying a "toy" Airsoft pistol. They are just for kids. I saw some and they were crappy plastic toys that you cocked once for each shot and didn't really have any working parts like the safety or slide release. You couldn't shoot accurately either.......

I am getting my girlfriend into shooting and she surprised me by getting a (crappy) plastic one so she could practice in her basement when I wasn't there. She likes it and it is definitely helping her aim.

So, I looked into them some more and all I can say is.......WOW!

I ended up ordering a "full metal" 1911. It is the MEU version with 3 dot sites,beavertail safety, and ambi grips and a Pachmayr grip . It is full blow back meaning it recoils for each shot like the real ones and locks open on the last. It runs on propane gas. The pistol works EXACTLY like a 1911 and has a working safety, slide release, and even the grip safety. It is exactly the same size and even weighs about the same. Even field strips the same. Internally some of the parts could probably interchange (except they are pot metal). Besides the orange "safety" ring around the tip of the barrel it looks identical, my kids couldn't tell it from my real 1911.......even by holding it.

These pistols have whats called a "hop-up" mechanism. Basically it puts a back spin on the BB and makes it very accurate. Within 15-20 yards it is just as accurate as a real .45 and I have hit cans (after a few shots) out to 125 feet. The single action trigger pull is crisp and even better than my real one (and I did a trigger job).

I've been playing with it a lot in the last few weeks......out over 2000 rounds thru it. Either alone practicing my draw or with friends/kids on the deck. I load the mags as fast as everyone else shoots it.

From what I see they make these full metal blowback models in 1911, Sigs, High powers, Beretta 9's, USP, revolvers and even (gasp!) Glocks. If you think putting thousands rounds through an exact copy of your favorite firearm in you backyard will help your shooting check them out.

Here is the one I got. It was on sale for $80. They have (select fire / full auto) rifle copies too.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.ph...ducts_id=30127
    Last edited by Delkal; July 7th, 2013 at 06:38 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Airsoft pistols........Definitely not just for kids.

I have been actually looking into these myself. I'm looking for a Glock 17 type. I'll check out your link.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    I have been actually looking into these myself. I'm looking for a Glock 17 type. I'll check out your link.
    You will want the KWA Professional Training Pistol which mirrors the Glock. Glock will not permit any licensing of it's name or likeness for airsoft pistols. So KWA made something close to it without going over the line.

Another manufacturer in Taiwan, KSC if I recall correctly, did make a Glock 17 clone, but Glock shut them down.

Years ago I thought the same about "airsoft" in that I thought it was some cheezy plastic ball toys for kids. Little did I know what was out there. I started looking into it for training scenarios we did at work, as Simunition was pricey and didn't really cut the mustard in different scenarios. Started researching airsoft and found you can buy guns that are near exact duplicates and have a good amount of power as well. Provided you spend the cash you can get something scary real, enough I have fooled many, many experienced soldiers with them.

Other than the cheapo spring guns at Wal mart, I would not class these as toys, as they can easily put an eye out, tooth out or burst a testicle(yep that has happened). Not something I would "play" with in public.

(Tioga County)

A couple of other notes:

You can take the orange tip off on private property, but especially transporting them over state lines you better have the orange tip on. Personally I prefer to keep the orange tip on as some of these guns are so accurate in appearance, the orange tip gives some heads up this is a training gun, even if most people seem to miss that on first glance.

I had a bad experience with Evike a few years ago. There advantage is they have such a large stock and all the latest and greatest gear. However I bought a "new" KWA Mac 11 which had obviously been used as a store demonstrator and was broken out of the box. They were useless at any customer service and KWA ended up repairing it.

Also on these propane guns, go easy on the silicone oil. Keep oil away from the chamber and "firing pin"(whatever it's called).

(Lackawanna County)

maybe ive been drinking but now you've really got me thinking abotu turning my basement into an assault course and getting one. thanks.

(York County)

In addition to the M&P, I have the non blow back version(blow back version is pictured) and a full auto M1A Scout.

(Lawrence County)

Dry firing is instrumental in getting better in live fire. In fact, I'd say that most of my improvements come from dry fire practice and live fire is just a way to confirm it.

The problem is dry fire is that it's kinda.....well, just a little bit......

It's horribly, mind-numbing boring.

I think a good airsoft gun is a perfect solution to that. I think they are one of the most underrated training tools.

Lycannicegoingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Never had an interest, but with the cost/scarcity of ammo it may be worth considering.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Never had an interest, but with the cost/scarcity of ammo it may be worth considering.
    Just make sure you buy good BB's. The cheap crap from Crosman in Wal Mart blows apart in decent guns. I found out the hard way and ruined a gun that way.

G&G, Goldenball, TSD, I've all had good luck with. In general you can get around 4000 BB's, biodegradeable, for about $15.

(Washington County)

There are so many different ones and I don't really know much about them.

There is KJW, KSC, WE and others that make a Glock 17 type. Anybody have a suggestion?
    Last edited by M&P Chris; July 7th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast