Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default any ideas on how to improve accuracy on a Remington 700 ADL?

Hey all, i got a Remington 700 ADL with a Mark x pro trigger (came with) and a cheap scope (came with it too) , i havent went out to try it yet but i rather see if anyone has any ideas on how to improve it cheap? I dont want to have to zero it in then do it again the bullets are not cheap for plinking a 30-06 springfield caliber!

all tips appreciated, Thanks!

(Erie County)

Default Re: any ideas on how to improve accuracy on a Remington 700 ADL?

Swap it for a savage?

Seriously, check your mounts, check your action screws, check your crown, try different ammo, try a different scope.

The last one might not be what you want to hear but most scopes that come on package rifles make better tomato stakes. Some shit the bed soon after their first use, some last many years but it's a big crap shoot.

(Clearfield County)

if you haven't shot it yet how are going to tell if the stuff you did to "improve" it helped any?

also you're going to have to find a load it likes, which means you'll have to shoot it with a lot of different loads and bullet weights. It's probably acceptably accurate as it sits, and nothing that can be done "cheap" will help much.

(Perry County)

It may, in fact, be more accurate than you can shoot it without any modifications. I strongly recommend you shoot it before any modifications take place. You'll never know unless you try it out first.
    If it doesn't live up to your accuracy expectations, then personally I'd "glass bed" the receiver, action rails and rear tang along with floating the barrel. Brownell's sells a "kit" to bed rifles that works well. I've done quite a few with the epoxy bedding which is much easier to work with than the real fiberglass bedding and imho works just as well.
    My experience with the 700's has been that knowledgeable reloading will do a great deal for accuracy. It's all an investment in time and money though.
    Molon Labe

(Adams County)

how do you know it is broke if you never shot it. or are you just looking for bar braging rights? being able to say i have this and spent this much money.

(Lawrence County)

First off, buy good bullets in the weight that matches the twist rate. I'd start between 168gr and 180gr. Most all guns shoot the Nosler Ballistic Tip or the Sierra Match King well. Failsafes and solid copper bullets can give you fits in some guns if you can't reload.

Set the trigger to a decent weight. 3lbs is pretty decent in my book.

Make sure the scope is tight and level. I like to level a grid target at 100 yards (with a level....not just lining it up with the backing). I'll then level the receiver and align the reticle.

Go shoot it off of sandbags (not a bipod) and get a baseline. Let the barrel cool between shots and don't get it hot or it can start stringing.

Make sure your scope's prrallax setting is right.

If it won't shoot at 1" or better, I'd pillar bed the action with Devcon and free float the barrel.

If it doesn't shoot after that, you'll need to start reloading......or sell it....but, it's rare that they won't do at least an inch.

Lycannicegunthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Erie County)

Leave it alone and put a good quality scope on it.

(Northumberland County)

Thanks for the Info! i guess ill shoot a couple rounds and see how it goes ill start at 50 yards then 100 yards, the gun looks like it was shot out of the box i can see very faint copper on the riflinng i got it NIB.

(Berks County)

and a cheap scope
    What is a "cheap" scope? There are cheap scopes and then there are cheap scopes. Some work well....some fall apart. Bushnell and Nikon come to mind with a very good performance and durability on some of their scopes that go for less than $200.

Take it out as is and follow the guidelines Lycanthrope put in his reply. Especially this part:

Go shoot it off of sandbags (not a bipod) and get a baseline.
    You want to remove the "human" factor as much as possible and see how good the rifle is on its own.

If you don't reload, it is going to cost you a bit in ammo to find out what ammo is going to give you the best results.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    What is a "cheap" scope? There are cheap scopes and then there are cheap scopes. Some work well....some fall apart. Bushnell and Nikon come to mind with a very good performance and durability on some of their scopes that go for less than $200.

Take it out as is and follow the guidelines Lycanthrope put in his reply. Especially this part:

You want to remove the "human" factor as much as possible and see how good the rifle is on its own.

If you don't reload, it is going to cost you a bit in ammo to find out what ammo is going to give you the best results.
    the cheap scope is the one that came with the rifle (combo) i havent tried it out yet so cant really tell if its good or not, there is no name on it but it is one made in china, i got the gun with the money i was gifted for my birthday.

i also got two boxes of winchester power max PHP bonded rapid expansion bullets, 1 box of 150 gr and 1 box of 180 gr so i will tell which one the gun really likes, i will try it out this weekend and post the results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast