Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newbee? PA. carry non resident help

Please forgive me if this has been covered but trying to look from my phone is hard with fat fingers. I live in NJ no carry permit. I just found out that PA. will no longer honor my FL. permit. I also have AZ, NH (non resident) & VA (non resident). I have a camp in Potter County and I want to make sure I'm legal to carry with one of the other permits. I have e-mailed the Potter county Sheriffs office and also the PA Attorney Generals office about this several weeks ago and have had no reply. I called the PSP firearms unit and was told to refer to the AG's website. The site covers the FL. thing pretty well but it's not clear with the other non resident permits. Anybody have an idea of where to look or who to contact for the latest info since I have contacted who I believe would be the experts on this. Thanks.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Newbee? PA. carry non resident help

IANAL, but it was my understanding that it applied to PA residents. Kind of like a "Hey of you live in PA, you need a PA permit."

Now I did a quick search and found the following link.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state...nsylvania.aspx

Good news is Arizona is on the list, but given our AG is funded by Bloomdouche I'm sure its a matter of time before she tried to cancel all reciprocity agreements. On the other hand being in NJ you can pick a PA county bring in the application with your 20 bucks and get the non-resident as an option. I'd just avoid Philly and pick a county where it would be done by the Sheriff's Dept.

I cant get a PA non resident permit. NJ is considered a shall issue state. They will only issue to a select few that are well connected or have a picture of someone with a farm animal. I have checked with several counties in PA. and was told the same by all of them if your home state issue's them that you need to have a copy of that permit when you apply. The sheriff's I have contacted agree that NJ sucks but it's the law. I dont know of any county that will issue. Kinda stinks since I have taken several safety courses and used my FL. permit for years and I have the other three.

(Northampton County)

Non-resident permits are not recognized in PA from Arizona, Florida, Maine, Mississippi and Virginia. The prevailing wisdom is that applies to both PA residents and residents of other states as well. That is the way the agreements are written.

It looks like you might be good with NH. Go to the AG pages of NH and PA and read the current agreements since our AG has been changing them (as you know).

Check your states here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

And PA here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Keep in mind you can open carry in PA without any permit, you just can't transport a handgun by vehicle (similar to Jersey) without a carry permit from ANY state, recognized or not.

This means if all your permits were not recognized by PA, you could still open carry, transport a handgun by vehicle (even carry loaded in the vehicle). You just couldn't conceal in PA or possess (under most circumstances, like Jersey) in Philly.

I just checked the AG's website about NH it says must be a resident it says notning about the non resident permit.

There was a thread on here a while ago where someone said that a PA sheriff (can't recall which one) was disregarding the "permit from your home state" requirement and issuing to NJ residents.

I don't believe that the person ever provided actual proof of this, though.

Of course, that wouldn't be legal for the sheriff to do that.

Unless your camp is within 1000 feet of a school, you can open carry everywhere in PA except in Philadelphia. And, while the AG's office has severely restricted reciprocity agreements, PA state law allows vehicle transport if you have a valid permit/license from any state, and if I am not mistaken THAT part of the law is not limited to residents of the issuing state.

So ... open carry. "Camp" suggests you'll be away from big cities, so it's not likely anyone will object.

(Lehigh County)

I find it very frustrating that we have to deal with so many different regs from different states. I wish there was a uniform set of rules for all 50 states. Easier said than done, I know, but this is my weak spot. I'm having trouble keeping up with all the regs everywhere, especially those states adjacent to PA. Just trying to learn all I can about the law but this is a rather monumental task.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Lady View Post
    I find it very frustrating that we have to deal with so many different regs from different states. I wish there was a uniform set of rules for all 50 states. Easier said than done, I know, but this is my weak spot. I'm having trouble keeping up with all the regs everywhere, especially those states adjacent to PA. Just trying to learn all I can about the law but this is a rather monumental task.

Ayn Rand was right. We are living it right now, and it's only getting worse.

This site might help... http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lehigh County)

I checked out this handgunlaw.us site. Thanks for sending that through. Lots of very useful information on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast