Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Smile Re: 2013-14 Doe license

Waiting on 3D they did cash my check fast enough !

(Washington County)

Default Re: 2013-14 Doe license

Quote Originally Posted by telopyros View Post
    still waiting for my 3d tag
    I read that as you're waiting for your third tag, lol.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Quote Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
    $6.70 for residents, and (I think) $26.70 for non-residents.
    Thanks for the reply. Glad we don't have to purchase doe tags here in Maryland. Some of our county's are unlimited harvest on doe. That could get a little expensive.

(Monroe County)

Am I the only one that finds it dumb that there's a limit on doe in PA?
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Bucks County)

when do the second round tags go out?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it dumb that there's a limit on doe in PA?
    I think you'd be in the minority with your statement. A lot of people feel the deer herd is far from what it should be in their area and attribute it to the number of doe killed every year.

There is a limit on Doe in most WMU's however in 5C, 5D and I think 2B you can buy as many as you can afford.

(Monroe County)

to be honest there less bucks and its a 1:5 ratio in my area usually.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Concealed9mm View Post
    when do the second round tags go out?
    August 5th is when the County Treasurers will begin accept second round doe applications.
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

(Butler County)

With regards to the limiting of the tags, don't forget it's not really a doe tag. It's an "antlerless" tag. Many antlerless deer taken each year are button bucks - the tag includes bucks for which both antlers are less than 3". My 1A anterless tag last year went a button buck with little tiny 1" antlers much to my chagrin because he wasn't behaving like a button buck; I thought it was a large doe. In many of the WMUs where there's a noted dearth of legal antlered deer, there'd be even less of them if more people were taking the button bucks with their antlerless tags.

If you want all the antlerless you can shoot, get as many tags in 2B that you can afford and go to town.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    With regards to the limiting of the tags, don't forget it's not really a doe tag. It's an "antlerless" tag. Many antlerless deer taken each year are button bucks - the tag includes bucks for which both antlers are less than 3". My 1A anterless tag last year went a button buck with little tiny 1" antlers much to my chagrin because he wasn't behaving like a button buck; I thought it was a large doe. In many of the WMUs where there's a noted dearth of legal antlered deer, there'd be even less of them if more people were taking the button bucks with their antlerless tags.

If you want all the antlerless you can shoot, get as many tags in 2B that you can afford and go to town.
    It's my belief that the majority of hunter's don't intentionally seek out and kill button bucks. They are mistaken for a doe, just as your button buck story.

Back in the late 80's, I myself took a 'doe' that was found to be a button buck upon walking up on the carcass. I would pass on a 'doe' if I knew it was a button buck prior to shooting.

It happens though and there isn't anything illegal with shooting a button buck. It's really a moral issue and most hunters wouldn't intentionally want to shoot the next generation of potential trophy bucks to fill a doe tag (or at least I'd like to think that).

I found this and it's pretty good reading:

How to Identify "Button Bucks"

Each year many hunters harvest buck fawns, commonly called "button bucks" on antlerless deer licenses. Though legal, harvesting these deer may reduce the number of antlered bucks the following year. By learning the difference between adult does and buck fawns and observing these suggestions, hunters can make a conscious choice on whether to harvest a buck fawn.

--Look at body shapes of deer. Adult does are different in shape from juvenile deer. The mature doe is rectangular in shape with a long neck and face. Fawns are square shaped and have a short neck and face.
    --Button bucks often travel alone, but adult does rarely do. Consider this when you observe a single antlerless deer.
    --Wait until more than three deer are together; then harvest one of the large antlerless deer.
    --If two juvenile deer are without an adult, one will probably be a button buck. Normally the young male is larger than the female and may be mistaken for an adult doe because of its larger size.
    --Look at the head of the deer. A doe's head normally is more rounded on top between the ears and a buck's head is flattened by the base of the antlers.
    --Look closely with binoculars for the antler bases on button bucks.
    --Wait until the deer are standing or moving slowly. It is easier to identify sex and age when deer are not running or moving fast.
    --Shoot with good visibility. Poor light or heavy cover makes it difficult to determine sex and age.
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast