Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Shooting range recommendation

I just moved back to Lancaster county (near Park City) and I'd like to find a place to shoot. I looked through google and there are some good choices but they seem to have reached their cap. When I lived in Chester County I belonged to NCCSC and that's an excellent club. I paid my $100 and used the range freely. Occasionally brought guests, shot cans, etc. Lots of fun (while still being safe). Seems like a lot of clubs out here are more strict with guests, non-paper targets, etc.

Ideally I'd like to find a club that is open to guests. I think it's important for the sport/hobby to have a place where experienced shooters can introduce guns to ignorant friends. It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice to have.

Are there any recommendations?

PA Dutch Sportsmen - Doesn't allow guests

New Holland Sports Club - Full

Millcreek - Full

Mount Joy Sportsmen - Open, guests allowed outside

So far it looks like MJS will be a good fit. Is there any reason I should reconsider? Is there another club I should consider?
    Last edited by brentx22; July 5th, 2013 at 08:06 PM.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Shooting range recommendation

Columbia Fish and Game allows guests except for the archery range in September and the rifle range in November. They would be pretty close to you. I think they've reached the membership cap though. Plus they have a 6 round limit in your magazine.

But they've got some pretty decent facilities, allow guests, and dues are reasonable.

http://www.columbiafishandgame.org/index.html

There'll be at least one spot open as I won't be renewing, it's a bit too far to drive there now.

Dale

(Lancaster County)

Elastin ville. It's about 20 mins from park city, straight shot up 72. 50 to join, 20 a yr after. No meetings or work required. Need a sponsor however. Up to 200 yd, range is covered so you stay pretty cool. Silouhettes allowed, but can only shoot at paper targets. And sadly, no guests. But for 20/yr, not a bad deal imo

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Columbia Fish and Game allows guests except for the archery range in September and the rifle range in November. They would be pretty close to you. I think they've reached the membership cap though. Plus they have a 6 round limit in your magazine.

But they've got some pretty decent facilities, allow guests, and dues are reasonable.

http://www.columbiafishandgame.org/index.html

There'll be at least one spot open as I won't be renewing, it's a bit too far to drive there now.

Dale
    I think the 6 round limit is a deal breaker. What's the logic behind that rule?

Quote Originally Posted by southpoleman69 View Post
    Elastin ville. It's about 20 mins from park city, straight shot up 72. 50 to join, 20 a yr after. No meetings or work required. Need a sponsor however. Up to 200 yd, range is covered so you stay pretty cool. Silouhettes allowed, but can only shoot at paper targets. And sadly, no guests. But for 20/yr, not a bad deal imo
    I'll have to add that to the list. How would I go about getting a sponsor?

(Lancaster County)

Elstonville. Sorry, just saw the error. In any case, im not sure, id call and ask about the easiest way, i got in because my wifes uncle has been a member for like 15 years

(Lancaster County)

Check out Heidelberg Sportsman's Club in Schaefferstown.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by brentx22 View Post
    I think the 6 round limit is a deal breaker. What's the logic behind that rule?
    Not a clue. Didn't bother me since I mostly shoot hunting rifles and revolvers, I only one one semi auto handgun and it only holds 6+1. For some folks, it's a problem.

I only offered it because they allow guests and it's pretty close to you.

Good luck in your search.

Dale

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by southpoleman69 View Post

Its Elstonville...and it is 50 to join....25 a year now...have been a member for almost 4 years now...good club...well kept ranges for pistol...rifle etc..they also occasionally have block shoots and they have trap shoots wednesday and sunday of every week..open to the public.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PABonecollector88 View Post
    Its Elstonville...and it is 50 to join....25 a year now...have been a member for almost 4 years now...good club...well kept ranges for pistol...rifle etc..they also occasionally have block shoots and they have trap shoots wednesday and sunday of every week..open to the public.
    sorry, 25/yr. i know the name, as i stated above, phone auto corrected for whatever reason.

(Lancaster County)

I've been at NCCSC for a few months, still a great place to be!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast