Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Shooting range recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Ahess86 View Post
    I've been at NCCSC for a few months, still a great place to be!
    It really is great. They just ask that you clean up and not burn the place down. It's nice not to be smothered by rules. Unfortunately after I moved it's an hour away :/

(Chester County)

When I lived in Lancaster, many years ago, I belonged to the Manheim Sportsmen Club in Lebanon County, and really liked it. It is just up 72 past the auto auction.

(Lancaster County)

Are there any non-membership ranges around here?

When I lived in Exton there was French Creek. You just pay your money ($12/lane I think).

I was sent over to our headquarters (Italy) for a month and no one I talked to had ever shot a gun so I'd like to give one of them the experience. There's a colleague from Italy here for another month and when I brought up shooting he seemed very eager.

(Somerset County)

I think it's Mill Creek has an open shoot for handguns on Sundays.

Most of the clubs in the area have open trap shoots sometime during the week. Even if you've never shot trap before, they'll be helpful to new shooters.

Dale

(Lancaster County)

I belong to MJSA. I enjoy it thoroughly. It's $50/individual/yr, $75 for family(which includes your spouse and all kids under 18). For an additional one time fee of $50 you get permanent access to the indoor pistol range (no jacketed ammo). There is no sponsorship, you just need to contact one of the officers and schedule new member orientation, then go to a meeting to be inducted in. You are allowed to bring one guest at a time to the range, and are asked on the honor system that if that guest frequents the range that the guest becomes a member. It is currently paper only, but with plans to add a steel range for three gun speed shooting. There are shooting stations for 25 to 200 yards. The ranges are restricted to no more than 1 shot/second (aka please no rapid fire). The club does a number of public events throughout the year that you can bring friends to, such as .30 cal shoots, skeet/trap tuesdays, and 3d archery. There is also a .22 cal pistol team that competes around the region. They are also actively involved in getting young folk into shooting and outdoor sports. Should you want to know more, ask me anything you need.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by brentx22 View Post
    Are there any non-membership ranges around here?

When I lived in Exton there was French Creek. You just pay your money ($12/lane I think).

I was sent over to our headquarters (Italy) for a month and no one I talked to had ever shot a gun so I'd like to give one of them the experience. There's a colleague from Italy here for another month and when I brought up shooting he seemed very eager.
    Manheim Sportsmen's Association's pistol range is open to the public on Tuesday evenings. $10 to shoot, and you bring your own ammo. I am also a new gun owner, and I just went there last night because I do not belong to a club yet. The guys were very nice. They run a tight ship too, they don't mess around with safety. If you act like an idiot, they'll send you packing.

Good luck!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by kenochs View Post
    Manheim Sportsmen's Association's pistol range is open to the public on Tuesday evenings. $10 to shoot, and you bring your own ammo. I am also a new gun owner, and I just went there last night because I do not belong to a club yet. The guys were very nice. They run a tight ship too, they don't mess around with safety. If you act like an idiot, they'll send you packing.

Good luck!
    This is really good to know as I live right in town! What are the hours of the open shoot and do I need to contact anyone to go up and shoot? This is incredibly convenient for me if the hours work out!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    This is really good to know as I live right in town! What are the hours of the open shoot and do I need to contact anyone to go up and shoot? This is incredibly convenient for me if the hours work out!
    Open shoot is from 7-9pm. Just show up, sign a liability waiver, pay the $10, the range master will give you his safety talk (he's strict, so be warned), and you're ready to go.

(Chester County)

SLCFSA is great, but they've hit their cap.

Mount Joy would be my second recommendation, but note they don't allow human shaped targets. That's less annoying than a round limit. The rapid fire isn't too bad either.

I'm not sure why we place these stupid rules on ourselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12