Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new reloader

(Crawford County)

Default new reloader

just loaded my wifes 380, all went well. Also loaded my 9mm for my xd and they do not fit. Could it have been that i belled them to much? I am using cast bullets that i had bought since i cant find any fmj. If any one has any ideas that could help i would appreciate it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: new reloader

Quote Originally Posted by Wschwab View Post
    just loaded my wifes 380, all went well. Also loaded my 9mm for my xd and they do not fit. Could it have been that i belled them to much? I am using cast bullets that i had bought since i cant find any fmj. If any one has any ideas that could help i would appreciate it.
    The last step in the process would be to put a slight taper crimp on the round to remove the bell.

Have you done that?

Note: you can bell it all you want...just be sure to remove the belling in the last step.
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

(Allegheny County)

Also:
    A maximum cartridge gauge as the one linked/pictured below is an invaluable reloader's tool to quickly ensure any/all finished rounds will cycle thru your particular firearm:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/888...gage-9mm-luger

(Crawford County)

Now I only have the Lee 3 die set, do I need the 4th die to accomplish the slit taper crimp?

(Crawford County)

Smile Re: new reloader

Thanks for your help.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wschwab View Post
    Now I only have the Lee 3 die set, do I need the 4th die to accomplish the slit taper crimp?
    You can perform the bullet seating and the crimping steps both with your bullet seating die.

I'll admit I've never done the above because I have the Lee 4 die set that includes the factory crimp die. I seat the bullet and crimp the case in two separate steps.

My advice would be to check your settings on the seating die and ensure that you're following the directions properly. Screwing the seating die in further gives you more crimp (as per Lee's instruction, which I just referenced).

Remember also that the max length on a 9mm Luger is 1.169", so make sure you aren't exceeding that.

(York County)

To adjust a combo bullet seat / crimp die, do this:

Set the die somewhat high in the press.

Turn the seating rod in and seat a bullet. Keep turning the rod until you get the bullet seated to the correct depth. (OAL)

Back out the seating rod.

Turn the die into the press until the crimp section contacts the brass (you'll feel it) Then turn it in a small amount more until you get the crimp desired.

Lock down the die.

With the bullet still in the die, turn the seating rod until it contacts the top of the bullet, then lock it down.
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

(Crawford County)

just tried the crimping and it did crimp, round still doesnt fit. must be a different problem. Thanks

(Beaver County)

If your using cast bullets what are their diameter. Are you using .358 or .356 ? Bullet diameter could be the issue.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

The three main things I would look at first are, over flaring the case, over crimping or you are shaving lead as you seat the bullet, Try seating a bullet without any crimp. I would remove your barrel and use it as a gauge till you find your problem .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast