Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Competitive shooting - Where do I start?

I used to be on the rifle team in high school, but that was long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I'd like to get back into competitive shooting, only with pistols now.

I own a 1911 in .45, but due to cost of ammo, would prefer to run .22 out of either my Mk-III, Neo, or Mosquito.

Can I use one of these for IDPA or other?
    Do I have to have a holster to present from?
    What is the cheapest, easiest way to get involved for a beginner?

I'm in the general Pittsburgh area, and would love to get back into shooting as a sport. Just need some direction on where to start. Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Competitive shooting - Where do I start?

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    I used to be on the rifle team in high school, but that was long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I'd like to get back into competitive shooting, only with pistols now.

I own a 1911 in .45, but due to cost of ammo, would prefer to run .22 out of either my Mk-III, Neo, or Mosquito.

I'm in the general Pittsburgh area, and would love to get back into shooting as a sport. Just need some direction on where to start. Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Ill speak on IDPA specifically ... most local clubs wont allow a 22 to be used. There is no division for it. Your 1911 is basically what the CDP (Custom Defensive Pistol) division was designed for. You will need some type of holster and a cover garment. You will also need a mag carrier and 4 mags (you use 3 during a stage and 1 simply to load to division capacity - which for CDP is 8+1 in the chamber).

As im on the other side of the state, I cant really say what clubs out there hold events, but basically find one that does and show up! They all do new shooter briefings and at least from my experience, all the shooters are more than willing to help you out and get you on the right track

Hell, if you want to take a nice little road trip, this Saturday the one club out there (Ontelaunee Rod and Gun) is holding their Intro to IDPA class. Its free and is a great way to see if this is right for you (introtoidpa.org)

IDPA rules will be changing later this year to accommodate .22 pistols. I have not read all the rules on the new .22 use, but I did see a start from the low ready.

Another option is steel shooting or steel challenge. It's rules simple and fun.
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyishootstuff View Post
    IDPA rules will be changing later this year to accommodate .22 pistols. I have not read all the rules on the new .22 use, but I did see a start from the low ready.

Another option is steel shooting or steel challenge. It's rules simple and fun.
    Pretty sure that was just a rumor -- didnt see it in the new rulebook (although I just skimmed it)

EDIT: Yea this is the only thing mentioned - 8.2.7.3. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
    Pretty sure that was just a rumor -- didnt see it in the new rulebook (although I just skimmed it)

EDIT: Yea this is the only thing mentioned - 8.2.7.3. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.
    Okay,
    8.2.7 Not For Competition states that it's now the match directors option on allowing guns that don't fit into one of the five categories. Dave at Ontelaunee has been willing to accommodate this where as New Holland has firmly been against it even for juniors who can't safety handle 9mm but could safely handle .22.

Last edited by johnnyishootstuff; July 3rd, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Allegheny County)

I'd like to start out inexpensive and easy, just to get my feet wet. Hence wanting to use .22

I'd also prefer (if possible) not to have to purchase equipment I don't already own. While I do plan on getting a decent OWB holster for the 1911 at some point, the El'Cheapo IWB I currently have isn't gonna cut it for and "draw and fire" competitions. And I imagine OWB's for the Neo or Mk-III are few and far between (especially being a south-paw).

I'd like to eventually work into IDPA, or such, but would be happy at the moment to start with basic bullseye matches.

Do 'steel' type matches allow .22? And do you need a holster for them?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyishootstuff View Post
    Okay,
    8.2.7 Not For Competition states that it's now the match directors option on allowing guns that don't fit into one of the five categories. Dave at Ontelaunee has been willing to accommodate this where as New Holland has firmly been against it even for juniors who can't safety handle 9mm but could safely handle .22.
    Thats why I stated in my first post that most wont allow it -- certainly some do, but its not something to bet on, and the new rules dont specifically allow it either - meaning a dedicated class at any match.

Do 'steel' type matches allow .22? And do you need a holster for them?
    Yes and No
    Last edited by IntenseImage; July 3rd, 2013 at 01:58 PM.

(Allegheny County)

...You will need some type of holster and a cover garment....
    I actually do have a OWB, that I never use (mainly because I don't like how big it is for daily cary - f'er is huge). It has a thumb break on it, is that permitted?

And what constitutes a cover garment? Can it be as simple as a loose hanging, unbuttoned flannel shirt? Or even a large t-shirt?

You will also need a mag carrier and 4 mags (you use 3 during a stage and 1 simply to load to division capacity - which for CDP is 8+1 in the chamber)...
    OK, newbie here.... can you explain a little better?

(Allegheny County)

Thats why I stated in my first post that most wont allow it -- certainly some do, but its not something to bet on, and the new rules dont specifically allow it either.

Yes and No
    Now we're getting somewhere!!!

(Northampton County)

Cover garments can be anything from a T-shirt you lift up, a baseball jersey, jacket, vest ... it just has to cover your gear with your arms held out to the side.

OK so CDP and your 1911 has a limit of 8 rounds in each mag and in most cases you will also start with 1 in the chamber.

So you have your 3 -8 round mags ready to go and a 4th to simply get that round in the chamber prior to slammin your first 8 rounder in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast