Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So you have some fancy night sights.

Fancy night sights are becoming the norm with defensive pistols, even being offered from the factory. But, I wonder... Just how much do most people get out to shoot at night or practice in limited light situations? There is big difference between a full moon and no moon, and bigger difference in a dark house.

All the clubs I belong to cut off shooting at sun down. I've never been to a public range where they adjust the lighting to simulate night conditions.

So, if you have night sights, how much limited light practice do you do?
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: So you have some fancy night sights.

We have the option of low light every week at our outdoor range.....we typically shoot until dark and have the option to go deeper, but we're usually hungry by then. It's typical that we shoot the house in the dark without weapon lights or night sights a couple times a year.

Lycanprettycommonthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

My clubhouse has an indoor range that's open til 11pm so it's convenient to get to. Also, if I'm alone there I can turn off all or some of the lights and shoot in the dark.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Bucks County)

My gun club has an indoor range and after a session of shooting by myself I'll shut off a few of the lights and use my night sights. I've only done it maybe a handful of times. I practice draws from my holster and do a few quick "double taps" on a body size target and check my results...which aren't always pretty

I tend to think night sights are a bit overrated. I have no proof or energy to back up these claims its just my thoughts.
    Last edited by AYOUNG; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:21 PM.

I've debated night sights for my guns but I've yet to pull the trigger. I chose a laser for my wife's carry gun for those times of darkness. I'm still on the fence at this point to add them.

My new P220 has them, and I think they are pretty cool. I haven't had the pistol very long, and haven't tried shooting at night, but from the few times I've taken it out to check them out, it seems like they would be a lot more useful in a low light situation than a no light situation.

(Wayne County)

Why wouldn't you want night sights on a home defense weapon. Better off not seeing your sights. Real world most people are untrained therefore any advantage is good

(Lehigh County)

I have a g21 with night sights, i was afraid of shooting someone in the dark by mistake. Now I have a pistol mounted light on it, i can light up a whole room, which of course make the night sights moot.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC View Post
    Why wouldn't you want night sights on a home defense weapon. Better off not seeing your sights. Real world most people are untrained therefore any advantage is good
    If it's too dark to see your sights, how well can you see and identify your target?
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    I have a g21 with night sights, i was afraid of shooting someone in the dark by mistake. Now I have a pistol mounted light on it, i can light up a whole room, which of course make the night sights moot.
    One luxury for us is we have no kids or no family in the area. If someone came through and window or door out alarm system will tell us. My home handgun does have a flashlight mounted to it but In my case if they are in my house their a threat. I know others have to ask and wonder since they have family & kids around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast