Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ambi safety on a 1911 - ok for carry?

I'm buying my next 1911 next week, and will be carrying it once I test it thoroughly. I'm buying a stainless 1911 because the black finish on the one I carry now is showing some pretty significant holster wear.

Anyway, the new gun has an ambi safety. Is this ok for OC, or is there a real concern of the safety being disengaged? I may just have a regular one-sided thumb safety installed once I get it.

Thanks!
    Dave

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Ambi safety on a 1911 - ok for carry?

I carry with ambi. What`s the issue? SA PX9109L

(Berks County)

If you have let anyone get that close to your firearm as to disengage the safety, I think you have bigger problems than just that.

I carry a 1911 with an Ambi safety and have never had an issue. I had thought about changing them out but I figured if things went south and my right arm was out of commision I would very much appriciate that extra diving board.

Post pics of the new toy!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
    If you have let anyone get that close to your firearm as to disengage the safety, I think you have bigger problems than just that.

I carry a 1911 with an Ambi safety and have never had an issue. I had thought about changing them out but I figured if things went south and my right arm was out of commision I would very much appriciate that extra diving board.

Post pics of the new toy!
    I wasn't concerned about other people taking the safety off. I have better awareness than that! I was more concerned about brushing up against things, etc.

(Berks County)

I have a Taurus with an ambi safety that I used to carry in a DeSantis leather holster. I stopped with that holster, as the thumbbreak would sometimes brush the safety off when holstering. If you're carrying cocked and locked, that is obviously not something you want happening. Just be careful with the thumbbreak if you have one. I recommend a Serpa holster or a leather holster without the break.

(Dauphin County)

I used to have a Bersa with Ambi safety on it in a high-ride thumb-break holster. Had to adjust the break once or twice, but after that never had a problem.

I have a friend who used to carry his Browning .40 cocked and UNLOCKED and never had an AD/ND

-38SnubFan

(Philadelphia County)

There are reasons most top-end custom holstermakers do not use a thumb break design. Proper molding for retention is one. The ability to draw quicker is another. The fact that the thumb break can flip down the safety on a 1911 is still another. As far as I am concerned, you should only carry a 1911 in a holster that is "open top" (no safety strap and no thumbreak).

That being said, the thumb safety being flipped down in a holstered cocked and locked 1911 is not he end of the world as you still have the grip safety and your finger off the trigger until ready to destroy your target. I also carry a Glock in an open top holster with no concerns and it does not have a thumb or grip safety. Mind you I also only carry concealed so I am not so concerned about someone grabbing my pistol.

Also, if you search around you will find holstermakers that have breaks in their 1911 holsters for either condition 1 or 2. For me, I just go with one of several open top holsters I have that have good retention molding.

(Dauphin County)

As far as I am concerned, you should only carry a 1911 in a holster that is "open top" (no safety strap and no thumbreak).
    tmg, my question to you on that statement is: What if you're OCing a 1911, or you're an LEO/Armed Security/etc. that carries a 1911 for duty and needs a duty holster for it?

Sorry, but I have to politely disagree with you on your post.

-38SnubFan

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post
    tmg, my question to you on that statement is: What if you're OCing a 1911, or you're an LEO/Armed Security/etc. that carries a 1911 for duty and needs a duty holster for it?

-38SnubFan
    I don't think we are necessarily disagreeing as I pointed out I only carry concealed and I was more referring to myself than OC, though I can see how you could take it the way you did with how I worded it.

I mentioned at the end of my post that there are holsters out there with notches cut out of the safety straps and thumb breaks specifically for 1911's. That is what should be used with an ambi-safety, or you should go to the single safety if you were not to use this type of holster. Not easy to find, but holsters notched for 1911 safeties are out there.

That all being said, and as I said, I don't think it is the end of the world if a thumb safety gets accidentally knocked down with the grip safety and finger off trigger.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 38SnubFan View Post

-38SnubFan
    The Blackhawk SERPA CQC has a model for 1911. Retention holster, open top.

I don't OC, but I own a couple SERPAs. If I were to OC, that would be the way I'd carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast