Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Stevens 87d

(York County)

Default Stevens 87d

When I bought a house in Maryland about 20 years ago I found an old Stevens 87d semi-auto 22 in the attic. After going over it I saw it did not have a firing pin in it. I bought a firing pin (about $10 if I remember, it was a long time ago) and installed it. After the firing pin was in I discovered cartridges would not go all the way down the tube magazine. They got hung up at the very end. I loaded one at a time, single shot, into the breech and it shot fine. I put it in the closet and figured one day I'd get around to fooling with it. Well, 20 years later that day came. I took it to Steve Ebersol this afternoon to ask if he could look at it. Great guy but he told me he was booked until February (wow!). Brought it back home and tore it down. After a little tweaking and de-burring I was able to get cartridges down the tube (now I'm an official kitchen table gunsmith ). Finally on to my questions. One of the extractor claws on the bolt looks bent upwards. Is it supposed to look like this? As I mentioned before I only shot this a couple times many years ago and I don't remember it failing to extract spent cases. I cycled a half dozen rounds through it this evening without firing (just working the bolt) and it failed to extract one time. I don't think this is a valid test but I didn't have time to get to the range tonight.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Chester County)

Default Re: Stevens 87d

If you have not discovered it yet, try rimfirecentral dot com

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    If you have not discovered it yet, try rimfirecentral dot com
    Registered over there. Not a single article (using the search function) on the 87D....

(Chester County)

Post your question in the Savage/Stevens subforum. I'm sure a few experts will pounce on it.
    I have been a member there for a long time under a different handle. Its a good forum for all things rimfire.
    If your Savage(Stevens) is one of the semi-autos with "gills", those are very beloved. Someone will answer your question(s).
    Last edited by Enfielder; July 2nd, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/109010I.htm

Sounds like yours is fine.

Terry
    "One Shot, Twelve Kills - U.S. Naval Gun Fire Support"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Here's what it's supposed to look like:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/109010I.htm

Sounds like yours is fine.

Terry
    Only the Shadow knows....couldn't resist. Thanks for finding the pic. That's what mine looks like.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    Post your question in the Savage/Stevens subforum. I'm sure a few experts will pounce on it.
    I have been a member there for a long time under a different handle. Its a good forum for all things rimfire.
    If your Savage(Stevens) is one of the semi-autos with "gills", those are very beloved. Someone will answer your question(s).
    It looks like a good forum. I have my answer but I'll probably pop in there from time to time. My rifle is one of the ones with gills.

(York County)

Took it to the range this afternoon. Loaded 5 in the tube and chambered the first one, light strike no fire. Ejected it and second loaded and fired. 3rd was a light strike. The range gave me a sampling of different ammo and the result was the same. Got 4 to fire in a row and then they wouldn't feed from the tube again. Started loading some right into the breach (CCI) and about 70% would fire, the rest were light strikes. The firing pin is new but maybe there is still some gunk in there from sitting for so long. Then i still need to open up that tube a little bit more. There is probably a reason someone left it in the attic when they sold the house. Back to the drawing board.