Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Philadelphia County)

Question .410 as a home defense shotgun

I searched the forums and the .410 threads didn't really answer my question.

Is the .410 a decent possible shotgun for use as a home defense tool?

Here's the situation: A "friend" won't change to another caliber of shotgun. He's got a pistol grip .410 hes had since he lived in the hills. I've told him repeatedly that it only causes flesh wounds on humans. I convinced him to at least get some heavy buck, but that's it. He won't even go to a 20 gauge much less a 16 or 12 gauge - because his wife won't shoot it then, because she's little and the recoil is too much for her. I pointed out that his wife hates guns and won't shoot it any way, a point he disagrees with me on. That is a dead end, so I have to find some way to get the .410 to work for him. But he asked me to find the right kind of shell for his .410. I said 00 or 000 buck is the only possibility, but even then, its still underpowered.

Am I wrong about this? Is there a decent defense load for the .410, or should I lobby harder for him to ramp up to a bigger gun? To me the .410 is a bird gun, great for pesky blue jays and nasty little rattlesnakes....but fkin' useless against your average crackhead here in the city.

Input! I demand it!
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Delaware County)

Default Re: .410 as a home defense shotgun

At real close range it is better than you would suspect. Try a hunting load of 4s or 5s. Just remember that you are "only" producing a charge of 1/2 or 5/8 ounce of projectile at 1100 FPS. In a house, room or hallway, the distance will not allow for much spread of the pattern.

Good luck with your friend and his spouse.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Allegheny County)

Mossberg markets a .410-bore shotgun for "home security", so I imagine that it would be okay at least under some conditions. Loaded with a slug or the largest compatible buckshot, it should still be deadly at close range, where the projectiles haven't spread out much.

Personally, I would probably go with at least a 20-gauge shotgun though.

(Northampton County)

I have a nice little .410 double barrel with the two triggers you can pull simultaneousy. I think it's a good home defense weapon - especially if you put a slug on one side and buckshot in the other. And it is short, light, manueverable.

But a pistol back-up is a nice option. I wouldn't want to try to split and reload the .410... Thise first two blasts better do the job or the pistol is being used!

(Monroe County)

Cheap HD. Mossberg Model 500 Special Purpose $279 to $299.

(Dauphin County)

any gun is better than no gun.... but i would go with at least a 20ga....

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Cheap HD. Mossberg Model 500 Special Purpose $279 to $299.
    +1.. That is exactly what I have sitting in the bedroom. For the cost, it is more than an equitable solution for home defense. The 12ga is an absolute cannon, a devastating weapon.
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Franklin County)

There's not a whole lot of projectiles going out of a .410 gauge. I'd think if nothing else, stepping up to a 12 gauge would be worth it just for the increase in projectiles.

A 2 3/4" .410 load of 000 buck only contains 3 projectiles. 00 might be even less.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    There's not a whole lot of projectiles going out of a .410 gauge. I'd think if nothing else, stepping up to a 12 gauge would be worth it just for the increase in projectiles.

A 2 3/4" .410 load of 000 buck only contains 3 projectiles. 00 might be even less.
    000 buckshot has fewer larger projectiles
    00 has more slightly smaller projectiles then 000 buckshot

(Northampton County)

In most home defense scenarios we're not necessarily trying to kill the intruder. Yes I know that dead men tell no tales and they don't sue you, but the main concern is the safety of yourself and your family. Changing the attacker's channel is the priority. Getting holes poked in you will usually (not always) change your channel. Like P-11 said "people don't like to bleed". You must be able to stop the attack and then retreat (that still is our duty in PA)
    A person has to retreat in their home in PA?? Really?? When did the law change??

The tissue damage and pain at close range is more lethal than a 44 magnum and remember aim for the face even a heavy meth user will succumb and you still have 4 rounds left.
    A .410ga out of a 3" barrel is more lethal than a .44mag....yeah..OK.
    With my .44mag I don't need face shots...even on a drug addicted attacker......really. How many people carry a Judge for protection against bears or large cats?? You can't compare a .410 anything to a .44mag.

Oh yes! there are no ballistics to trace.
    True...unless a slug was used.
    Last edited by reverserboy; June 11th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast