Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: .410 as a home defense shotgun

The .410's pellet velocity is the same as a 12 guage, just with less shot.

Personally I think people take home defense calibers far too seriously. I grew up in a home with a .22 for home defense. and believe me, if you break into that house my dad WILL PUT HOLES IN YOU. People don't like to bleed and a .410 load of birdshot to the chest even if not fatal will certainly make you chance your mind about what you're trying to do.

I wouldn't recomend it in a single shot, but a .410 pump imho is an acceptable home defense gun.

shoot someone in the face with it and you WILL ruin their day.

(Washington County)

Talking Re: .410 as a home defense shotgun

Again, better than nothing, and go with the slug.

well i would go for a much shorter gun for home defense. i know of a guy who as he was comming around a corner in his house he had his pistol grip shot gun pulled out of his hand. the bad guy who did this was able to get 2 hands on the end of the barrel and yank it right out of his hands and them shoot him nearly blowing his leg off. up in tell this happening i would have said a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with pistol grips but even with a winchester 1300 defender with pistol grips its hard to move around a house. now i would have something like a taurus judge 410/45lc
    cool video
    www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-theJudge-video.cfm

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.co...ils.php?id=577
    Last edited by 410kid; April 30th, 2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: found good review

"Am I wrong about this? Is there a decent defense load for the .410, or should I lobby harder for him to ramp up to a bigger gun? "

5 (ea.) 000 balls, totaling 350 gr. in weight, following each other down the barrel (close grouping) at 1100 fps will definitely assist in a self defense situation.

Also, because of the lower blast and recoil of the .410, the possibility of accurate follow up shots is greatly enhanced. In addition, the lighter weight of the firearm itself, makes, for a great many smaller people, for easier use.

I, heartily, recommend this solution to the problem of home defense.

Larry

MOST people here want A-Team effects when you shoot someone.

a .410 SLug or BUckshot round will do the job.

Really No matter what you use.

Practice preforms over piss poor performance.

(Perry County)

We have to remember one thing. In most home defense scenarios we're not necessarily trying to kill the intruder. Yes I know that dead men tell no tales and they don't sue you, but the main concern is the safety of yourself and your family. Changing the attacker's channel is the priority. Getting holes poked in you will usually (not always) change your channel. Like P-11 said "people don't like to bleed". You must be able to stop the attack and then retreat (that still is our duty in PA) Any gun that pokes holes will stop most attackers and none will stop all of them. Having a gun is better than having nothing. If he is satisfied with the .410 then you probably won't be able to change his mind.
    Last edited by sleeper78; June 10th, 2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: once again forgot to proofread

(Allegheny County)

growing up in texas i got hit with .410 " birdshot thru thick brush from about 50 yards away hade one pellet go thru my jeans and lodge in my leg another in my shoulder my friend had 2 stuck in him. all this from a little .410

anybody u doesnt think a .410 wont hurt how bout u stand 20 yards away from me and ill shoot u with .410 birdshot and then lets discuss "how u feel"

"anybody u doesnt think a .410 wont hurt how bout u stand 20 yards away from me and ill shoot u with .410 birdshot and then lets discuss "how u feel""

AND, that was with birdshot! Imagine how you would feel if, within say 30-35 yards, a column consisting of 5 (ea.) 70 grain 000 Buck (MV-1100 fps) whacked you?

Big OUCH!

Larry

[QUOTE=410kid;290788]well i would go for a much shorter gun for home defense. i know of a guy who as he was comming around a corner in his house he had his pistol grip shot gun pulled out of his hand. the bad guy who did this was able to get 2 hands on the end of the barrel and yank it right out of his hands and them shoot him nearly blowing his leg off.

I guess this guy never knew about Short stocking his weapon. No need to go shorter, If one knows how to short stock...Cleared many a room with an M-16A2 with 20in barrel, Rounded many a corner as well. Just by short stocking. Just my .02 cents.

Semper Fi,

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    There's not a whole lot of projectiles going out of a .410 gauge. I'd think if nothing else, stepping up to a 12 gauge would be worth it just for the increase in projectiles.

A 2 3/4" .410 load of 000 buck only contains 3 projectiles. 00 might be even less.
    000 buckshot has fewer larger projectiles
    00 has more slightly smaller projectiles then 000 buckshot

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast