Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Default Re: .410 as a home defense shotgun

Another Smallbore shotgun gauge that can be seen as the best of both worlds is the 28 gauge.

More payload than the .410 and less recoil than a 12 or 20 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    But if I were to get disabled or seriously couldn't handle a shotgun any more the .410 I would still pick over any hand gun for HD. Mine would have to be an auto loader though. Maybe a Saiga in .410?
    This is something I was thinking, as well. My dad traded his 20 for a .410 (both single shot) and still complained that it tweaked him a bit, but his shoulders were all f...ed up from cowboying all his life.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    This is something I was thinking, as well. My dad traded his 20 for a .410 (both single shot) and still complained that it tweaked him a bit, but his shoulders were all f...ed up from cowboying all his life.
    Life does tend to mess us up as the years roll on.

What kind of loads is your dad using?

Quote Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
    Another Smallbore shotgun gauge that can be seen as the best of both worlds is the 28 gauge.

More payload than the .410 and less recoil than a 12 or 20 gauge.
    I think the problem there is that nobody makes 28 gauge buckshot anymore-at least as far as I could find on the interwebs. I think this winter's project might be the ultimate home defense .410...

Quote Originally Posted by Pfletch83 View Post
    Life does tend to mess us up as the years roll on.

What kind of loads is your dad using?
    As Indiana Jones says, "It's not the years, it's the mileage."

He uses Win. Super X 4 shot. He doesn't do any reloading. He hates anything that creeps around on HIS ground, so it gets used fairly often. I don't know what 4 shot will do to a leather jacket, but I know it will make a mess of a large, Florida rat.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lehigh County)

Well I was just at the range earlier and the guy in the lane next to me was shooting a handgun with the Federal .410 and all I have to say is -

HOLY S***!!!!

He basically obliterated a fresh target in 2 or 3 shots, huge holes in the center and then maybe 8-10 smaller holes spread out all around it on each round. Another couple rounds and the target was destroyed.

Those things are awesome.

[QUOTE=sleeper78;771176]
    Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    A person has to retreat in their home in PA?? Really?? When did the law change??

Pa has no castle doctrine. We have a duty to retreat in this state. This means that we are not legally allowed to stand our ground and fight it out with an intruder. We are only allowed to fight back enough to enable us to retreat to safety.

Now IANAL so if I am wrong on my understanding I welcome any lawyer to set me straight so we are all on the same page.
    456 - Here in the SW we have the "Make my day Law". If they past our threshal threatening and uninvited we can defend ourselves with deadly force. I don't think the Judge package equals a 44 mag but both could be lethal. Let me restate that the 410 could be lethal the 44 mag would be deadly any where close to center mass hit most likely. I agree with the Judge package being a novelty, though a deadly one, but it doesn't equal a 44 mag.

[QUOTE=Neko456;1737468]
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper78 View Post

456 - Here in the SW we have the "Make my day Law". If they past our threshal threatening and uninvited we can defend ourselves with deadly force. I don't think the Judge package equals a 44 mag but both could be lethal. Let me restate that the 410 could be lethal the 44 mag would be deadly any where close to center mass hit most likely. I agree with the Judge package being a novelty, though a deadly one, but it doesn't equal a 44 mag.
    Also keep in mind that with a .410 shotgun using '000' buckshot you have more than one projectile being launched into about the same P.O.A. with each round fired and more accuracy due to contact of both hands plus the shoulder,as well as faster repeat shots due to better recoil control.

(Berks County)

I'll just leave this here.

For Judge & Public Defender fans - no doubt this would work in long guns as well.

In principle, the 20-gauge and .410 long guns should work just fine for home defense, assuming one could get the proper ammunition for them (.00 or .000 Buckshot; rifled slugs). As it turns out it's pretty hard to do. Much easier to locate law-enforcement type and low-recoil defense ammunition for the 12-gauge. I am thinking that's the main issue here.
    Last edited by kunsunoke; September 22nd, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

The federal load that I've been using for tests cost about $14.99 for a box of 20 (local shop has a good supply of them)

There is no real need for low recoil because well....it's a .410 how much less recoil can one ask for in a shotgun?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast