Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Help choosing a handgun

I am a single mother of 3 children, who currently has a PFA out on her husband. He has been carefully manipulating that order and just entered my home last week, violating the order while I was at work.

I live in a townhouse with 1 exit which is at the bottom of my stairs so in order to get out of the house in an emergency I would have to go through him.

I would need to stand my ground with him if he comes in my house again. He can not legally purchase a weapon because he has a prior felony conviction and he was never able to convince me to buy one for him.

I grew up with guns, my father taught me how to shot. It has been a while but I am willing to go take safety classes, safe, gun lock whatever it takes. I need to feel safe. I do have pepper spray, wasp spray but I don't want to spray something like that in my only exit.

Basically I am in touch with local law enforcement but they can only do so much. Just yesterday he was talking to friends of his about getting an AR15 and saving the last bullet for himself. I have asked his friends to let law enforcement know. I do have a pitbull but lets face it she will probably try to lick him to death.

I was going to go to a shooting range and feel out some handguns. I am about 140 pounds. I can't have something that will go through walls since I have neighbors. (townhouse) Something that I can quickly put together and something I can 100% lockdown away from my children. Any suggestions for what kinds I should try out at the gun range? I am on the fence about doing this but I am comfortable shooting. Its been a while but I feel like I have no option but to arm myself just in case he comes in again.

He is going to be arrested for the violation but how angry is he going to be when he posts bail? So any input greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help choosing a handgun

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    I am a single mother of 3 children, who currently has a PFA out on her husband. He has been carefully manipulating that order and just entered my home last week, violating the order while I was at work.

I live in a townhouse with 1 exit which is at the bottom of my stairs so in order to get out of the house in an emergency I would have to go through him.

I would need to stand my ground with him if he comes in my house again. He can not legally purchase a weapon because he has a prior felony conviction and he was never able to convince me to buy one for him.

I grew up with guns, my father taught me how to shot. It has been a while but I am willing to go take safety classes, safe, gun lock whatever it takes. I need to feel safe. I do have pepper spray, wasp spray but I don't want to spray something like that in my only exit.

Basically I am in touch with local law enforcement but they can only do so much. Just yesterday he was talking to friends of his about getting an AR15 and saving the last bullet for himself. I have asked his friends to let law enforcement know. I do have a pitbull but lets face it she will probably try to lick him to death.

I was going to go to a shooting range and feel out some handguns. I am about 140 pounds. I can't have something that will go through walls since I have neighbors. (townhouse) Something that I can quickly put together and something I can 100% lockdown away from my children. Any suggestions for what kinds I should try out at the gun range? I am on the fence about doing this but I am comfortable shooting. Its been a while but I feel like I have no option but to arm myself just in case he comes in again.

He is going to be arrested for the violation but how angry is he going to be when he posts bail? So any input greatly appreciated.
    Ruger LCR - Get the 357 version that shoots both 38 and 357. My wife has one and has .38 home defense loads. Good Luck

(Jefferson County)

No matter what gun you get - go get your LTCF ASAP. Since you are the victim with a PFA against another person, who has made threats, you are eligible to get a temporary emergency LTCF(no delay on issuance) for $10 or less. The temp LTCF is only good for 45days and cannot be renewed. So, you may want to consider the regular license($20) from the gitgo if the Sheriff will issue immediately.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I'd suggest a Glock 19. Dead on reliable and safety is on the trigger so no fumbling with switches if you do have to use it in a defensive situation (hopefully you never do). You can usually find a good deal on a used one. As with any sem-auto you can store the loaded magazine in a different location from the pistol itself as a safety measure, but this will increase the time it takes to ready the weapon.

With most any handgun you're going to want to be careful choosing your ammunition with over penetration being a factor. No FMJ unless you're at the range.

I'm sure some one more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No matter what gun you get - go get your LTCF ASAP. Since you are the victim with a PFA against another person, who has made threats, you are eligible to get a temporary emergency LTCF(no delay on issuance) for $10 or less. The temp LTCF is only good for 45days and cannot be renewed. So, you may want to consider the regular license($20) from the gitgo if the Sheriff will issue immediately.
    Really? I did not know that! Thank you!

Do you live near Phoenixville? you can go up to French Creek outfitters and they can get you set up with some safety training and range time as well as have some recommendations for firearms that would fit your needs. My wife loves her Ruger SR9c, compact 9 mm Price is about $400 ish. They might also have something in the used handgun section.
    All My prayers for a peaceful resolution.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; July 1st, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Mercer County)

I would highly recommend getting a LTCF, a revolver to start out with, and a double barrel 12 gauge. Both of these have a very easy to learn/remember manual of arms. You can do all of that for around $600.

Keep the revolver ON you, and the 12 gauge in a safe room somewhere in your house. What kind of money do you have to work with? Guns are only a small part of the self defense equation. Look at training, and hardening your home, both inside and out.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Centre County)

Is there any reason you can't change the locks on the doors to keep him from getting in? Also, make sure the windows ar locked when you are not in the house.

I also go along with getting the LTCF as quickly as possible.

I would second the Ruger LCR, small lightweight, goes bang when you pull the trigger.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

forgot to mention if you are truly concerned of wall penetration... Get frangible self defense ammo or glasers

http://www.corbon.com/safety-slug/ge...er-safety-slug

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    I'd suggest a Glock 19. Dead on reliable and safety is on the trigger so no fumbling with switches if you do have to use it in a defensive situation (hopefully you never do). You can usually find a good deal on a used one. As with any sem-auto you can store the loaded magazine in a different location from the pistol itself as a safety measure, but this will increase the time it takes to ready the weapon.

With most any handgun you're going to want to be careful choosing your ammunition with over penetration being a factor. No FMJ unless you're at the range.

I'm sure some one more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
    I agree on the Glock 19. 15+1 of 9mm in a manageable, reliable package. Or a G26 if the G19 is too big for you to carry.

Any good JHP round that is used by law enforcement is my suggestion. Like the Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Ranger T series and etc will work. Any round that is going to be effective at stopping a threat is going to sail right through drywall. Just the reality. Even so called "safety" rounds like Glaser will go right through drywall.

I agree get a LTCF ASAP.

Ideally you would want to carry the gun 24/7 however I realize that is not always possible. A small single pistol gun safe would be a good place to store the handgun when at home. One designed for quick opening.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GunVa...h-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stack...h-All+Products
    Last edited by dkf; July 1st, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast