Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Best basic factory AR for under $1,000?

I'd like a factory built one right now as I'm not currently interested in building my own.

Looking for a basic AR with just good irons, and the ability to add an optic later if need be. So, it would be nice to have rails, but not completely necessary now.

Leaning towards a S&W M&P 15 right now since they are a company that might be around for a while, and their customer support is good.

Any other/better ideas?

Thanks.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Best basic factory AR for under $1,000?

You are thinking the right way -- the M&P15 is a great base, especially the optics ready version you can simply add some flip-up sights to

(Berks County)

I've been discussing this one:

GAG_ES-0136578

Just Google it. It's a PSA.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Crawford County)

WINDHAM Weaponry.
    Great warranty ! lifetime warranty x'3 over!
    Check out their web sight and read their history. They use to make bushmasters. I believe they are now a better rifle that the current bushmasters. M&P is a very nice rifle but a little more money and less warranty . give me a call if you have any questions. I have worked on most of them.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks guys. Good stuff so far. I really like the looks of those Windham Weaponry AR's. One of my friends mentioned them as well. Said he handled one but didn't shoot it. Said that it looked top notch. Seem to be really well priced, too. Even with the high end Troy sights that I would add, it would still be under 1K.

What else might there be out there?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I'd like a factory built one right now as I'm not currently interested in building my own.

Looking for a basic AR with just good irons, and the ability to add an optic later if need be. So, it would be nice to have rails, but not completely necessary now.

Leaning towards a S&W M&P 15 right now since they are a company that might be around for a while, and their customer support is good.

Any other/better ideas?

Thanks.
    It seems like not that long ago, I found myself in the same position. While I respect a company for having good customer service, I have more respect for a company that I would be far less likely to ever need that customer service. I have a hard time trusting a company that lets too many problems slip thru their quality control, even if they do make up for it in customer service.

Windham seems to rely too heavily on their customer service department, and seems to be very slack on QC. If someone buys a rifle and never fires it until its absolutely necessary, good customer service will not be of much help to them. After careful consideration of QC on just AR rifles I ended up going with a Sig M400.

#1. QC on this specific product seemed better than average.
    #2. it seemed like the best value based on the specifications and features.

(Allegheny County)

I see your limited to about 1000.00, but IMO and I were in your shoes I'd save a little more and pick up a Colt 6920. Thet can be had for about 1100.00 and maybe a little less if you look around.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that Windhams, S&W, Sigs etc are just as good, when in fact they are not. Colt's have a great track record for producing quality AR's built with quality, proven and tested parts.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    It seems like not that long ago, I found myself in the same position. While I respect a company for having good customer service, I have more respect for a company that I would be far less likely to ever need that customer service. I have a hard time trusting a company that lets too many problems slip thru their quality control, even if they do make up for it in customer service.

Windham seems to rely too heavily on their customer service department, and seems to be very slack on QC. If someone buys a rifle and never fires it until its absolutely necessary, good customer service will not be of much help to them. After careful consideration of QC on just AR rifles I ended up going with a Sig M400.

#1. QC on this specific product seemed better than average.
    #2. it seemed like the best value based on the specifications and features.
    Yea, I would also think that customer service in regards to an AR would be less important because so many companies make parts. It's not like you can't get it fixed elsewhere if need be unlike having an issue with a gun that only one company makes.

Also, I've seen plenty of posts and discussions regarding poor QC on Sig products. I've had no issues with my Sigs so far, so I still like them.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I see your limited to about 1000.00, but IMO and I were in your shoes I'd save a little more and pick up a Colt 6920. Thet can be had for about 1100.00 and maybe a little less if you look around.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that Windhams, S&W, Sigs etc are just as good, when in fact they are not. Colt's have a great track record for producing quality AR's built with quality, proven and tested parts.

Ha, you're the second person today to recommend the 6920. I think most reasonable people would agree that Colt makes nice AR's, but the question that many people have is "are they worth the extra $". You say yes, and I will take that into consideration since it is tied for the lead with 2 suggestions so far today. $1K isn't a firm figure, but I'd like to get close.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for those suggestions. I fully admit that I don't know the difference between the two. I figured the best way to learn about AR's would be to buy a basic one and go from there. Others might suggest I build my first one, but I'm sure that will happen eventually.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast