Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default problems with ak 47

Was hoping to get some advice from you AK guys.I just purchased a new Century Arms centurian 39 and had some issues with it.It will not chamber the first round from a magazine when pulling back the charging handle and realeasing it.The round strips from the mag and loads half way into the chamber and the bolt locks up about one inch from it's fully closed position.It will feed if i keep my hand on the charging handle and forcefully ride it forward.Never had to do any thing other than pull back and release the charging handle on any other semi auto i've owned.Is this normal for an AK? Also the rifle with have the same failure when fired from a bench but functions fine when firing offhand.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: problems with ak 47

How many rounds have been fired through it? When shooting from the bench are you putting pressure on the mag? Two things come to mind 1. tight headspace (usualy firing 100 rounds will break it in) 2. improperly fitting mag, either it could be the mag or if the mag is being forced to where it doesnt belong.

(Chester County)

only have 60 rounds thru it.I was using the Tapco mags that were shipped with the rifle.Don't believe i was putting any pressure on the mags when shooting off the bench.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
    only have 60 rounds thru it.I was using the Tapco mags that were shipped with the rifle.Don't believe i was putting any pressure on the mags when shooting off the bench.
    id try different mags numero uno...and throw that junk away...sounds like tight head space as mentioned...check with a no go gauge...

(Chester County)

will do,thanks!

I thought this thread was a joke. Trouble with ak? Impossible. ak's never have trouble, until i saw "century arms" From what I've read over the years about century arms, i'll never own another one. I had a cetme from century.
    Biggest hunk of crap i ever owned. Wouldn't run no matter what you did. Sold it at a profit

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I thought this thread was a joke. Trouble with ak? Impossible. ak's never have trouble, until i saw "century arms" From what I've read over the years about century arms, i'll never own another one. I had a cetme from century.
    Biggest hunk of crap i ever owned. Wouldn't run no matter what you did. Sold it at a profit
    i was hoping since this one is 100% american made with a milled reciever it would at least be reliable.Any recomendations for mags?

(Bucks County)

i was hoping since this one is 100% american made with a milled reciever it would at least be reliable.Any recomendations for mags?
    surplus steel European...Izzy or Tula Bakes...Russina Slabsides, etc...basically as long as it doesnt say tapco on it should be ok...korean mags are not the best steel

I don't know what make they are but they are metal. You can run them over with a truck and they wont break. My ak is chinese, the mags came with it.
    I'll see if i can tell what make they are and get back to you.

Here are two of my mags. The one with the rib is the one i like. Built like a tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast