Cant you send it back and get it fixed.

(Chester County)

Default Re: problems with ak 47

Quote Originally Posted by nitro570 View Post
    Cant you send it back and get it fixed.
    guess i can,but the tool maker in me wants to fix it myself

(Berks County)

I've never had any issues with taco mags. Maybe it's just my luck though.
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
    Asmodeus6,I think you got it,when working the bolt with the top cover off i could see that the carrier is hanging up when it rides over the hammer on it's way forward.Looks like there is plenty of surface area to remove a few thousands off the top of the hammer without effecting the firing pin strike,do you agree?
    thanks
    I normally reprofile all my hammers. Just make SURE that's the actual issue. A crappy hammer shouldn't be able to stop a bolt carrier dead if you simply let go of the handle. Only if you ride it forward.

Pull ALL the way back and let it snap.

If it then hits something else - as it's feeding the round. Plus the resistance of the magazine holding the round. THEN jams. You have multiple things that need addressed.

I normally work on the hammer right at the back where it is typically fairly squared off - and round it quite a bit in an effort to ramp it. But if the rails in the receiver are not in spec it will run the bolt head at an angle and it will hang up on things it normally wouldn't. Even the hammer.

So yes. But make SURE that's why it's hanging up. I'm going to guess the whole gun is tighter than it should be.

Did you apply some lithium grease as I asked you too? Sometimes a little extra slip and slide will allow the bolt speed you need to get past these minor bugs until you shoot it enough to break it in. I'm betting it's that shitty Century milled receiver. It's way too tight and when things are tight, even small variances can cause issues.

(And there are tons in AK parts.)

(Chester County)

gonna pick up some grease today and try it,along with your other suggestions,thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Svickstc View Post
    id try different mags numero uno...and throw that junk away...sounds like tight head space as mentioned...check with a no go gauge...
    I have twelve Tapco polymer mags for my SA 85M from the early 90s. Never had a feeding issue with them. Of course, they're also a lot newer and I've heard Tapco got their ducks in a row with the newer mags.

Only issue I had with them was that one was a touch too thick in the back to snap in easily. I sat around one day just inserting and removing it while watching TV, now it snaps in just as easily as the rest.

But...I will be ditching the Tapcos soon since MagPul announced AK PMAGs.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I'm guessing a lot of it comes down to mating up US made parts with foreign parts derived from chopped up guns of dubious and unknown quality from crapholes like Egypt. These guns were designed to be cheap throw aways after 10000 rounds.

Also if you do like PTR did and tighten up the tolerances on their G3/HK 91 clones, everyone ends up bitchin as all the surplus and cheapo foreign ammo doesn't work.

In addition I think most people look at AK's as cheap guns that shoot cheap ammo. I suspect there is probably a price point there most people are not willing to cross to get a top spec AK.

I know one place I work with a contract we had and those involved needed an AK "fam" shoot, just so that if overseas and their guns went down, they could pick up an AK from a bad guy and at least have the basics down on how they worked. So to fulfill that we had to search high and low and tried some different ones and I think what they settled on was something of Romanian origin that worked ok and got the job done. I just remember that it was a pain in the butt to get usable guns.
    Good points, I thought by now the American AK's had all American parts. As for the PTR I would rather it have looser tolerances to accept a wider variety of ammo plus it seems like they make multiple grades of their clone, from stock GI models to DMR type rifles. I'd be pissed off to receive an expensive AK that only liked certain ammo. Funny thing though my Colt AR feeds all kinds of cheap, steel 223 and that's one tight rifle.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123