Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: problems with ak 47

a nogo gauge wont help tell if the headspace is tight, but if the bolt carrier is about 1" open the bolt is already starting to close. Try any metal mags (non US made) Us made ak mags arent the greatest. if you have a dummy round (or a live round at a safe location pointed in a safe direction) put it in the chamber with no mag inserted then let the bolt slam home and see if it closes. if it does its more than likely the mags. if it doesnt try a diffrent brand of ammo if you have it. Case dimentions vary lot by lot and brand to brand. When I build an ak I set the headspace tight and it wont close on some rounds.

Commie AK47 mags. AIM ships fast also.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.as...ifle+Magazines

(Chester County)

thanks for the advice guys,will pick up some steel mags this week

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Here are two of my mags. The one with the rib is the one i like. Built like a tank.
    I will happily trade you E German ribbed mags in perfect condition for the non ribbed version you don't like as much. They fit my chest rig better.

As for this rifle. It's a milled AK built by Century. No idea to what specifications.

Supposedly to their 'own'.

In my experience tapco mags are shit. But any of the ones I encountered feed just fine. It's the matter of their durability.

Still, you'll probably want more mags anyway. So getting 1 or 2 different mags to try is not a bad idea.

I'm guessing there is some dumb shit going on. Likely tight headspace as mentioned - but perhaps tight - everything. I would white lithium the receiver rails and the bottom of the bolt carrier where it rides over the hammer. Not a ton. Just enough to get it really singing back and forth.

On an empty gun I would rack the gun 100 times after applying the grease. See if it feels smoother.

The next gremlin might be the height in which the magazine is held. Or the magazine is really tight as it is also new. Worst case is the machined guide rails are not in alignment and the bolt is running into the magazine and stopping. (This is a game over scenario)

Are you getting a feed way obstruction type of jam? Where the round is not in the chamber but the nose of the bullet is stuffed beside the barrel and then the bolt drops the back of the round (at an angle) ?

Or is the bullet heading into the chamber - and stopping cold. If this is the way. Then check the bolts locking lugs. (Add some grease to the lugs) And check to see there isn't a lot of resistance when the lugs rotate behind the lugs in the receiver.

That should get you started.

Report back please.

(Pike County)

I never understood why no one could make a good, home grown AK style rifle. We make top notch AR-15's, M1911's, Shotguns, etc but we just can't get AK's right for some reason.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I never understood why no one could make a good, home grown AK style rifle. We make top notch AR-15's, M1911's, Shotguns, etc but we just can't get AK's right for some reason.
    We as Americans are so conditioned to make everything with tight tolerances, they can't get over the thought of making it a little sloppy, they feel it's to loose and rattles around, can't be good. Would you ever hear an AR rattle, hell no.

The main reason is PRICE. There are sever companys that make milled recievers but they cost alot more than the imported parts builds, and most peopl dont want to pay the higher cost. so until there are no more imported parts of rifles its just too hard to compete.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    We as Americans are so conditioned to make everything with tight tolerances, they can't get over the thought of making it a little sloppy, they feel it's to loose and rattles around, can't be good. Would you ever hear an AR rattle, hell no.
    I guess that works when a firearm was designed with tight tolerances, not so much in a weapon with a sloppy build quality.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I'm guessing a lot of it comes down to mating up US made parts with foreign parts derived from chopped up guns of dubious and unknown quality from crapholes like Egypt. These guns were designed to be cheap throw aways after 10000 rounds.

Also if you do like PTR did and tighten up the tolerances on their G3/HK 91 clones, everyone ends up bitchin as all the surplus and cheapo foreign ammo doesn't work.

In addition I think most people look at AK's as cheap guns that shoot cheap ammo. I suspect there is probably a price point there most people are not willing to cross to get a top spec AK.

I know one place I work with a contract we had and those involved needed an AK "fam" shoot, just so that if overseas and their guns went down, they could pick up an AK from a bad guy and at least have the basics down on how they worked. So to fulfill that we had to search high and low and tried some different ones and I think what they settled on was something of Romanian origin that worked ok and got the job done. I just remember that it was a pain in the butt to get usable guns.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I would white lithium the receiver rails and the bottom of the bolt carrier where it rides over the hammer.

Report back please.

Asmodeus6,I think you got it,when working the bolt with the top cover off i could see that the carrier is hanging up when it rides over the hammer on it's way forward.Looks like there is plenty of surface area to remove a few thousands off the top of the hammer without effecting the firing pin strike,do you agree?
    thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast