Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: M1 Garands

(Jefferson County)

Default M1 Garands

Anyone have any luck with the Civilian MarksmanShip program and the M1's offered??

I'm thinking about getting into that in my free time. I'm not much of a fan of repeating rifles, but I've always had a softspot for the Garand and the M14.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: M1 Garands

what do you mean by '' luck with that''?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

There is no "time" involved in getting a Garand from CMP. Just meet their requirements and order a rifle. I got mine a few years ago and love it.

(Bucks County)

No luck needed. Just order

Hurry, only ones left are Rack & Field Grades. Don't be afraid of the Rack Grades, I got one that looks better than my Service Grade.

(Jefferson County)

I was just worried about shot-out barrels, dings in the metal and such.. ..not too worried about the wood, seeing I'd like to carve up a really nice piece of walnut for one.

(Jefferson County)

Aside from the typical firearm purchase requirements, what else is required? I thought I heard you had to be a member of a shooting group or something like that...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Aside from the typical firearm purchase requirements, what else is required? I thought I heard you had to be a member of a shooting group or something like that...
    the ''typical'' requirements'' do not apply to cmp guns.
    you meet their requirements, and they send the rifle to your door.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

Knight0334, visit the CMP website and look for "sales" and then "eligibility requirements" and go from there. I joined the "Garand Collectors Association"($25) to fill the club requirement and with that and a carry permit and an NRA membership and a birth certificate, I be good to go...now go and do the same...and have fun shooting the M1. Like phillyd2 said, "hurry", supply is limited. Let us know how you make out...Mike45

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I was just worried about shot-out barrels, dings in the metal and such.. ..not too worried about the wood, seeing I'd like to carve up a really nice piece of walnut for one.
    Yep, that part of the fun. Collectors Grade are all gone so if you want a looker then go to your local gun shop or show. Costs for a decent one will be from $800 to $1500 depending on mfg, condition, etc.

I happen to think its fun to redo the stock and I am as far from expert as you can get. All from CMP will be good shooter that you will most likely never shoot-out.

I guess its all what you want to get out of it. For me, CMP can't be beat. YMMV.

(Centre County)

Knight,
    I just drove out to port clinton (camp perry) last thursday so I could personally look through all the M1's they had and pick the ones out that I wanted. I ended up walking away with 2, 1 Feild grade (5.8ml SN) and 1 Rack grade (2.6mil SN) both that TE less than 2 and MW of 2 and 2.5 respectivly. Both were also orig. barrels for the recivers. The wood was decent but no major markings. I also scooped up 2 cases of the greek HXP ammo on En Bloc clips at a great price. From what I was told there all of the orders are filled by the south store not the north store (ohio). As well while I was there looking through the racks they had one collector grade SA... but with a price tag of 1400 it was to rich for my blood that day, its my understanding that when they do find them they dont post up on their auction page they just sell them in the store and dont promote them at all. for a 5 hour drive and 6 dollars in road tolls it was well worth the drive from state college. food for thought.
    Cheers
    josh