Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Open carry on a motorcycle

Delete
    Last edited by jsriley; June 20th, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Open carry on a motorcycle

Short answer is yes.
    Now to clarify.

Carrying in a vehicle is NOT "considered" concealed.

It is carrying in/on a vehicle or conveyance.

To carry concealed requires a PA LTCF or reciprocal equivalent.

To carry in or on a vehicle or conveyance requires a PA LTCF or a equivalent document from ANY state. Reciprocal or not.

Example. Someone with a non reciprocal LTCF (Ohio for example) may OC on foot but not CC. They may however then get in or on any conveyance(car, bike, horse, skateboard) legally with said Ohio document. When exiting conveyance the firearm must be OC.

The requirements of the law are different for concealed carry and vehicular carry.

To further clarify this does not apply in Philadelphia. An armed person must be in possession of a PA LTCF or reciprocal equivalent regardless of carry choice. I suppose the example Ohio resident above could drive through Philthy but may not exit their vehicle what so ever. In that case my advice would be to just stay out of Philly.
    Last edited by Armor Snail; June 29th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.

(Berks County)

"Example. Someone with a non reciprocal LTCF (Ohio for example) may OC on foot but not CC. They may however then get in or on any conveyance(car, bike, horse, skateboard) legally with said Ohio document. When exiting conveyance the firearm must be OC."

How can they get in a vehicle with no PA LTCF or reciprocal license? Don't they run into some transport issues. For example, without a LTCF I can't transport my handgun to a location and then open carry. I could walk to that location and open carry but getting in the car is the problem. I know there's some exceptions like the range or gunsmith. If the license they have isn't reciprocal it's like not having any license, right? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsriley View Post
    Hey everyone.

I was wondering if you are required to have a CCW to open carry while riding a motorcycle. I know that you need a CCW to carry in a car, but that is because you are concealed in the car. On a motorcycle you are on not in a vechile and both you and the gun are in the open .

I ask because I plan on carrying my glock in a drop leg holster while riding and expect to get stopped. I just want to know if I am required to show ID if the carrying of my weapon is the only reason for the stop.

I looked and can't find any case law on the matter.

Thanks.
    The in or on thing is really a moot subject. The only thing that matters is the aspect of the vehicle.

Here is the legal definition used for the UFA.
    Title 1 Pa.C.S.A. General Provisions
    Part V. Statutory Construction
    Chapter 19. Rules of Construction
    Subchapter F. Definitions of Words and Phrases
    § 1991. Definitions

“Vehicle.” A conveyance in or on which persons or property may be carried.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Takem View Post
    "Example. Someone with a non reciprocal LTCF (Ohio for example) may OC on foot but not CC. They may however then get in or on any conveyance(car, bike, horse, skateboard) legally with said Ohio document. When exiting conveyance the firearm must be OC."

How can they get in a vehicle with no PA LTCF or reciprocal license? Don't they run into some transport issues. For example, without a LTCF I can't transport my handgun to a location and then open carry. I could walk to that location and open carry but getting in the car is the problem. I know there's some exceptions like the range or gunsmith. If the license they have isn't reciprocal it's like not having any license, right? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    A license from ANY state qualifies for the exception 18 Pa CS 6106(b)(11) with respect to vehicle possession. Reciprocity is irrelevant:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    Last edited by tl_3237; June 29th, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

oh ok got it.

(Allegheny County)

Where do we stand on jet skis?

I don't know that I ever got an answer to that one.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

I'm always carrying; but it's always concealed. Looking at getting a new holster for my 1911. I have been wondering about open carrying while riding my motorcycle. I do have a LTCF, but wondered if I would be stopped if my "not so little" friend was spotted and having to deal with that.

Has anyone ever had any trouble while OC on a motorcycle in Pittsburgh. Any good or bad experiences?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGhost27 View Post
    I'm always carrying; but it's always concealed. Looking at getting a new holster for my 1911. I have been wondering about open carrying while riding my motorcycle. I do have a LTCF, but wondered if I would be stopped if my "not so little" friend was spotted and having to deal with that.

Has anyone ever had any trouble while OC on a motorcycle in Pittsburgh. Any good or bad experiences?
    I OC my 5" 1911 when I ride and have yet to have an issue, so I wouldn't worry about it. Check out my OC thread to see the new custom holster I just received.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Where do we stand on jet skis?

I don't know that I ever got an answer to that one.

Not sure where to put my holster. On my PFD or in my watertight bin under the handlebars. An ankle holster would mean the gun would spend most of the ride in/under water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast