Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Dry Fire

(Montgomery County)

Default Dry Fire

The last few days I have begun doing dry fire using 5 snap caps in my M&P 9 magazine. I find I have learn a lot about trigger control and using my sights doing dry fire. I have a few questions about dry fire being a begin in guns.

1) When I do dry fire with multiple snap caps I am always racking the slide each time I fire. Is there a way on an M&P to do dry fire without constantly racking the slide?
    (I know this easy for me to do on my M9 with one snap cap in the Chamber).

2) While having 5 snap caps per mag, one always gets jam. One snap cap in the mag again one in the Chamber. What the best way to clear this jam?

3) After multiple times dry firing should I oiling the gun or even clean it?

Finally, what are some good dry fire drills to do? Does anyone know some good videos online for dry fire drills?

Thank you,
    Nick.
    I will die, You will die, we all will die, just not today Patton, Battle of the Bulge.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Dry Fire

1. Can you pull the slide back just far enough to reset the trigger without ejecting the round? I don't know if this is possible or if there would be any disadvantage.

2. I don't think I understand your jam issue. This could help http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...p/t-42149.html

3. I've done a ton of dry firing with my Glock and I just make sure it stays properly lubricated, I don't necessarily do any extra oiling after dry firing.
    Last edited by yeager484; June 27th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick72 View Post
    The last few days I have begun doing dry fire using 5 snap caps in my M&P 9 magazine. I find I have learn a lot about trigger control and using my sights doing dry fire. I have a few questions about dry fire being a begin in guns.

1) When I do dry fire with multiple snap caps I am always racking the slide each time I fire. Is there a way on an M&P to do dry fire without constantly racking the slide?

2) While having 5 snap caps per mag, one always gets jam. One snap cap in the mag again one in the Chamber. What the best way to clear this jam?

Finally, what are some good dry fire drills to do? Does anyone know some good videos online for dry fire drills?

Thank you,
    Nick.
    #1 The slide one needs to come .5" to the rear to reset the striker, the snap cap will stay in place and not eject.

#2 See #1

#3 Nope

Check out the drills from Ben Stoeger (youtube). Ben puts out a lot of videos. If you don't know who Ben is, he's one of the top pro shooters shooting USPSA and IDPA. Also, you can lay on your back and use a spot on the ceiling as your target, this will force you to do the same muscle movements every time - this was recommended by JJ Racaza in a class I took with him.

Just finished my dry fire routine. You can also down load free shot timers for the iPhone and Android.
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Chester County)

To really get the most benefit from dry practice I suggest using a laserllyte
    cartridge, (using the proper caliber), in the chamber. You would still need to slightly rack to reset the trigger but you will visually reference where the round hits compared to your sighting.

I use the LaserLyte Trainer Target which blinks when the laser impacts the target. It removes boredom and improves your aim.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick72 View Post

Thank you,
    Nick.
    1. On a Glock you can insert a small piece of cardboard between the slide and breechface and get the gun just short of lockup where you can pull the trigger over and over. It won't feel quite the same, but it works.

2. Dump the mag and rack the slide hard. You probably won't have this jam if you rack the slide harder.

3. A light film is all you need. You shouldn't need extra cleaning.

4. Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2l0p98upk2_b

You should be focusing on the front sights for movement and getting that snapshot of where the front sight was when you hear "click". Seeing the front sight is what allows you to call your shots and knowing you hit your target without seeing an actual hit on your target.

Lycannextquestionthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    1. On a Glock you can insert a small piece of cardboard between the slide and breechface and get the gun just short of lockup where you can pull the trigger over and over. It won't feel quite the same, but it works.

2. Dump the mag and rack the slide hard. You probably won't have this jam if you rack the slide harder.

3. A light film is all you need. You shouldn't need extra cleaning.

4. Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2l0p98upk2_b

You should be focusing on the front sights for movement and getting that snapshot of where the front sight was when you hear "click". Seeing the front sight is what allows you to call your shots and knowing you hit your target without seeing an actual hit on your target.

Lycannextquestionthrope
    Lycannextquestionthrope

What is the meaning of LIFE

(Lehigh County)

Lycannextquestionthrope
    Does this prevent the trigger from fully depressing so you get no click, and you don't have to reset it by pulling the slide?

I've done something similar by sticking a ziptie through the ejection port and through the barrel...and slowly closing the slide on it.
    Last edited by yeager484; June 27th, 2013 at 11:42 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Lycannextquestionthrope

What is the meaning of LIFE

Lycanandcarryatowelthrope

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    Does this prevent the trigger from fully depressing so you get no click, and you don't have to reset it by pulling the slide?

I've done something similar by sticking a ziptie through the election port and through the barrel...and slowly closing the slide on it.
    Yeah, you get full trigger stroke and you don't drop the striker every time.

Lycanexactlyrightthrope

(Monroe County)

Lycanandcarryatowelthrope

Ahhh,the answer to life love and the universe.