Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks gun group splits over carrying firearms at rallies

Speechless and biting my tongue, at the moment, but it sounds like the clash of big egos. Anyone have details?

A disagreement over openly carrying firearms to public rallies is among the reasons a pro-Second Amendment group has divided into two organizations.

The names of the new groups formerly called Concerned Gun Owners of Bucks County are Concerned Gun Owners of Pennsylvania and Pennsylvanians for Self Protection.

CGOP will continue holding rallies to gain supporters, while PA4SP will lobby lawmakers to support the rights of gun owners.

"We are still working together, just in a different way," said Jim Vetter, one of the group's founders and now a leader of CGOP.

However, PA4SP member David Sager said having members and supporters carry firearms to public events "decreases our effectiveness" when trying to sway the general public and makes it "too easy for the press or somebody else to place us in the fringe."

"I'm not opposed to open carry," Sager added. "But just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean you should do it all the time."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...8cf5d1eae.html

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Bucks gun group splits over carrying firearms at rallies

Sounds like big egos to me, but I'm not a member of either group nor was I a member of the original group.

That said, I hear "I support the right but you shouldn't do it everywhere" from Fudds around here on occasion. I generally take that to mean the Fudds would be more than willing to toss OC'ers over the back of the sleigh if it meant they could hang on to their hunting rifles for another year or so....or if it would shut the government up for awhile....
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

Divide and conquer....

Notice that the other side is combining and coordinating....
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.

(Chester County)

United we stand, divided we fall. Truly sad.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Northampton County)

Move across the river. What a tampon.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't think a lot of people realize that many gun owners are anti-OC. Since this is a rather strong pro-OC forum, it helps sway a lot of anti-OC gun owners, but there are still some popping up here now and again. Gun owners who are not on this forum are less likely to have spent time on their own learning about the issue.

Did anyone bring up the fact that the large majority of the people at the Philly Gun Rights Rally OCed, including someone with a semi-auto AK variant, and that no one was really in shock or even the press set out to stretch that we were "on the fringe"? What actually was effective was that the type of people that showed up at that rally: different races, different ages, families, kids, older people, military members, etc. The fact that we had guns on us openly put an emphatic tone on the rally/protest rather than "decrease effectiveness".

It's really silly, quite frankly. Now they will have smaller numbers at rallies, still the same "fringed" people just at a different protest to "decrease effectiveness" all the same. OCers from all over the states should come and support the pro-OC rally group to show true strength in numbers and how effective such a rally can be.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyishootstuff View Post
    Divide and conquer....

Notice that the other side is combining and coordinating....
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBackpackin View Post
    United we stand, divided we fall. Truly sad.
    + 1... sad, sad, sad state of affairs. fight for ALL gun rights, or none at all. this is truely disheartening... i WAS a member of CGOBC. they seemed well organized and i never caught any flak OC'ing at any of their meetings/rallies i attended...

not a clash over egos at all, a tactical move to get around a wall on both sides rather than go over it. Shame that a minority decided to make it about OC and publicize that.

Still have a lot of momentum here in Bucks and hope to connect 2A supporters all across the state at the GRAA-PA/CGOPA Unite the Fight picnic on July 20 at Gifford Pinchot state park. Hope to see all the big groups represented- PAFOA, FOAC, ACSL, etc

Please don't comment on the article and add fuel to the fire, we have enough distraction. Thx
    Last edited by freesoul; June 26th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

I will continue to OC at every rally and EVERYDAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE!

I FEAR NOBODY AND THIS IS STILL THE GREAT U.S.A!

STAND AND FIGHT!

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Bucks County)

Well, that sucks.

But getting the name to CGOP "Concerned Gun Owners of Pennsylvania" is more like what arizona did. And instead of being about one local municipality like Bucks County, it is now all of Pennsylvania.

Hopefully this can actually spread state wide with support with a name change.

Time will tell, but it sucks to see them have to split as such.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast