Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Visiting Penn State

I am taking my family for week at my parent’s cabin in the Allegheny Mountains. We are planning to bring our modern sporting rifles and pistols with us. Since we are traveling interstate from NJ, the firearms will be unloaded, secured and transported 100% in compliance with the FOPA.

My son wants to stop along the way and check out Penn State and take a tour. According to the schedule published by the school, it looks like we will be on campus for around 5 hours.
    I can't find anything online other than campus regulations prohibiting students in campus housing from storing firearms in their cars. However, I can't find anything giving me the green light either.

Am I correct in assuming that I am good to go with parking the SUV on campus so long as the guns are unloaded and locked in cases?

Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Visiting Penn State

You aren't passing through a 3rd party state for FOPA to protect you from NJ laws on transporting. It takes 3 states for FOPA to work. Since NJ pretty much prohibits transporting other then when actually moving, to/from hunting, to/from a range, and to/from gunsmith or place of purchase - you would need a NJ permit.

Even if you were to hit DE, NY, or MD to make FOPA work, you would lose FOPA when you stopped at the Penn State.

As for Penn State itself and ignoring the factors above - you should be ok with firearms in the vehicles in respect to Penn State policies. But merely having a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR) in a vehicle in PA would be a violation of law without a PA LTCF or a permit from any other state. Since FOPA doesn't cover you, you would have to go straight to/from your vacation residence to have any exemption of PA law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Thanks, Knight.

Just to clarify, your opinion is that neither the State of PA nor Penn State care about a parked SUV with unloaded and locked firearms in an on-campus parking lot.
    The issue is the deviation from a direct course. I get that (I’m a subject of the State of NJ). But I was told several years ago that I was good to go in PA because PA lets you car-carry as you have a license from another state. I was told that m NJ FOPID card and my FL CCW permit sufficed. Is this not true?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Thanks, Knight.

Just to clarify, your opinion is that neither the State of PA nor Penn State care about a parked SUV with unloaded and locked firearms in an on-campus parking lot.
    The issue is the deviation from a direct course. I get that (I’m a subject of the State of NJ). But I was told several years ago that I was good to go in PA because PA lets you car-carry as you have a license from another state. I was told that m NJ FOPID card and my FL CCW permit sufficed. Is this not true?

It might have been nice of you to have mentioned those things in your OP.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It might have been nice of you to have mentioned those things in your OP.
    LOL. Sorry. I also did not mention that the SUV would be loaded with AK47s and AR15s and Glocks, and enough ammo for a small army. ;-)

(Jefferson County)

Thanks, Knight.

The FL permit is valid in a vehicle - so that covers you within PA.

PA doesn't prohibit guns on college campus'. But some(most) do have policies about it. As a visitor you probably wont be violating any policy. However signs do have authority under trespass laws, so if they have signs posted on their grounds stating "No Guns", then it may become a problem.

You still have the issue with NJ's draconian laws on transporting. Since you aren't going directly to/from one of NJ's designated exemptions you would still need a NJ permit. The FID card wouldn't cover you.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

LOL. Sorry. I also did not mention that the SUV would be loaded with AK47s and AR15s and Glocks, and enough ammo for a small army. ;-)

I don't think it is wise to post that you intend to leave a suv stuffed with AK's AR's and Glocks along with a ton of ammo parked unattended in a Penn State parking lot on an open internet forum. Most of the members here are honest good people who but you never know who is lurking.

As far as transporting I believe the Flordia CCW would cover you since you are not a PA resident in PA. NJ is another story and I don't know the laws well enough their to comment.

Thanks, all. I appreciate the advice.
    I was half joking about the arsenal. The law should not care if it is one gun or 50; and if it gets some Liberal’s knickers in a knot, then so be it. Regardless, I will most likely stay with the dog and the car whilst my sons and wife do the tour (doubting they will allow a 105lb dog to accompany the tour).

As far as NJ transport laws go, the NJFPID card covers me for transportation of long guns. But yes, I could be at the mercy of the draconian NJ justice system for the transport of the pistols. It is crazy how I am allowed to transport pistols from my home to a shooting range, I but not allowed to transport them to a family residence in another state. I can’t wait for the opportunity to escape from the God-forsaken Liberal hellhole.

(Chester County)

It would seem that possession on Penn State property is prohibited:

The possession, carrying, or use of any weapon, ammunition, or explosive by any person is prohibited on all University property except by authorized law enforcement officers and other persons specifically authorized by the University. No person shall possess, carry, or use any fireworks on University property, except for those persons authorized by University and local governments to discharge such fireworks as part of a public display. Paintball guns and paintball markers may only be used on the property of the University in connection with authorized University activities and only at approved locations. Any University student or employee who violates these prohibitions shall be subject to discipline in accordance with regular University procedures, which may include suspension or dismissal from the University. Visitors to the University will be subject to appropriate trespass actions for failure to comply with these regulations. Further, if possession or use of a weapon, fireworks or paintball device is in violation of the law, it will be referred to University Police or other proper law enforcement authorities.
    http://guru.psu.edu/policies/SY12.html
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    It would seem that possession on Penn State property is prohibited:

http://guru.psu.edu/policies/SY12.html
    Thanks, TL.
    That is a university regulation. It does not carry the force of law, and the most they could do to a visitor is charge them with trespassing (a misdemeanor).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast