Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: New Jersey Born Raised Therefore I Want A NJ CC Permit

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Since 911 all Active Duty LE are also allowed to carry across state lines if I am remembering correctly.
    You are not remembering correctly. The LEOSA covers active police officers as well as retirees, and it was not enacted until several years after 9/11. To carry under the LEOSA, police officers must be authorized by their department/agency to carry when off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by LEOSA
    (c) As used in this section, the term “qualified law enforcement officer” means an employee of a governmental agency who—
    (1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807 (b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
    (2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    (3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;
    (4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
    (5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    (6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926B

I went through the whole process as a non-resident of Jersey several years ago. What I put down for my "justifiable need" was that I wanted to do some target shooting while visiting relatives in NJ, but the way the laws in NJ are it can only be transported to/from YOUR home to the range. What qualifies as a home could be a relatives' house, then again maybe not. Anyways, in a nutshell, I said I needed the permit for protection in my relatives home and so I wouldn't get in trouble falling into NJ's gun control grid.
    No dice, of course, got the standard letter stating I didn't have "justifiable need". One weird thing was that my 20$ fee was sent back after a year or two of the denial.
    If you do apply keep in mind the state troopers will probably be confused at first. They must have asked me 4 or 5 times,"So you don't work for an armored car company?". Once they got the investigator dude up front he said "You don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting it but you're welcome to try." Everyone I spoke to was friendly and helpful but the system is quite clearly rigged, and everyone knows it, but unfortunately the population is ignorant of the fact almost every other state issues to qualified people.

(York County)

Last weekend I wrote to Govern (of NJ) Chris, Christie.

I got this response:

Office of the Governor

Office of Constituent Relations

Post Office Box 001

Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0001

GOVERNOR CHRIS CHRISTIE ELECTRONIC RESPONSE

July 15, 2013

Mr.

70 Rie Rad

York, Pennsylvania

Dear Mr.:

Thank you for your letter. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

I have asked the Department of Law and Public Safety Acting Attorney General John Hoffman to review the information you sent to me and reply to you directly. If you wish to contact Acting Attorney General Hoffman's office, you may write to the Department of Law and Public Safety at PO Box 80, Trenton, NJ 08625-0080, or call (609) 292-4925.

Again, thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Chris Christie

Governor
    Hopefully from there I can get come answers.

You are wasting your time and money if you think you can get a CC permit in New Jersey without a lawyer. Heck, even with a lawyer you won't win. Like it has been said before, you have to establish a "justifiable need" and self defense is not accepted by ANY judge in NJ as meeting that burden.

There was a case many years ago shortly after 9-11 where a civilian employee of the FBI applied for a carry permit in New Jersey. He wasn't a FBI law enforcement agent so he didn't carry a gun on the job. He had a lawyer and was backed by, if I recall correctly, the Second Amendment Foundation. At the time he argued there was credible intelligence Al Qaeda was planning on following FBI agents and employees home to murder them and their families. He used this as his "justifiable need", the self defense protection of himself and his family. He was still denied. So they even denied a federal employee facing confirmed threats from Al Qaeda terrorists.

Just take it for what it's worth. New Jersey is a no-issue state. If you want to experience the process and its guaranteed denial like a documentary filmmaker would take on a unique experience to really see what something is like have fun. But if you really think you have a chance, you don't.
    Last edited by Jon Doe; July 16th, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
    Not to be confused with PAFOA member John Doe from Montgomery County, PA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456