Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gun manufacturer Looking Into Rockingham County (NC) Facility

Mayodan, NC - A well-known gun manufacturer is eying Rockingham County to locate its newest firearm manufacturing facility.

The county has been courting Sturm, Ruger and Company for the past couple months, and leaders say they're encouraged by the company's interest.*

"They're doing things here that most cases would make you think they have decided to come here and be very encouraged, but we know they are doing the very same things in all of the other locations they are looking at," explained Graham Pervier, President, Rockingham County Partnership for Economic and Tourism Development.*

Pervier said the company is conducting extensive surveys on the community, work force, community and former Unifi Textile plant. That's the building the company is interested in turning into a gun manufacturing facility.*

If the company chooses the Mayodan location, Pervier says it could bring as many as 500 jobs and an investment of $30 million.*

article continues at:
    http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/s...storyid=288584

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Gun manufacturer Looking Into Rockingham County (NC) Facility

During the 1954 partition of Indochina Northerners who wanted to remain Catholic moved south. It was called "Voting with your feet".

Why should ANY firearms Manufacturer stick around in hostile territory, waiting to be slammed with nuisance lawsuits? Good on Ruger for leaving the "Eastern Bloc" as some of my friends from out west call us.

Gene, this may be an expansion rather than a move. Even so it's 500 jobs and no telling how much tax revenue that won't be in an unfriendly state.

Jim

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jim_s View Post
    Gene, this may be an expansion rather than a move. Even so it's 500 jobs and no telling how much tax revenue that won't be in an unfriendly state.

Jim
    Very true, but at least they are showing an interest in putting that investment in friendly territory.

(Bucks County)

I personally wouldn't consider NC a gun friendly State. I suppose compared to NY, CT, MA, CA it is; but it's hardly gun friendly compared to PA in my opinion.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB0 View Post
    I personally wouldn't consider NC a gun friendly State. I suppose compared to NY, CT, MA, CA it is; but it's hardly gun friendly compared to PA in my opinion.
    Take a look at the Brady Group state rankings. In my opinion, PA is on the verge of going Jersey on gun laws. Anti-gun sentiment certainly seems to be more prolific than pro-gun.

See, we have the issue that NY/NJ folks are moving in, and in large numbers in the Poconos. Down where you are, or at least the Quakertown area I grew up in, most of the people have been there for a couple generations. Up here, I'd estimate that well over half of the population moved here from SE PA, NY, and NJ. Of that, less than half were originally from PA.

It's kind of funny, though, when I talk to people about guns, almost all of the positive reactions are from PA natives and almost all of the negative reactions are from non-natives.
    Last edited by Breadman03; June 24th, 2013 at 08:48 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    Take a look at the Brady Group state rankings. In my opinion, PA is on the verge of going Jersey on gun laws. Anti-gun sentiment certainly seems to be more prolific than pro-gun.

See, we have the issue that NY/NJ folks are moving in, and in large numbers in the Poconos. Down where you are, or at least the Quakertown area I grew up in, most of the people have been there for a couple generations. Up here, I'd estimate that well over half of the population moved here from SE PA, NY, and NJ. Of that, less than half were originally from PA.
    I don't take my information on what states are best for gun rights from the Brady Campaign. They often emphasize different aspects of firearms laws as good/bad than I do. I have a feeling this comes from them not understanding the law, firearms, or people who carry firearms. Try looking at the list of places you can't carry a firearm in NC, the "permit" process, ability of local jurisdictions to disallow open carry, etc.

Just one source:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Also if your complaint is liberal voters moving to PA, that same things is happening in NC, I'd argue to a larger degree.

Looks like NC is one of three states under consideration:

From the "No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money" blog

Interviews with Ruger's consultants, Greyhill Advisors, by the Greensboro News-Record also confirmed that it would be Ruger. Locations in South Carolina and Texas are also under consideration. Daniel Kah, a spokesman for Greyhill said they were very pleased with the turnout in Mayodan especially given the short notice. As to how many employees would eventually be hired, he had this to say:
    How many people will be hired is still unknown. Kah said it would be a “meaningful number of employees,” somewhere in the hundreds.

However, more jobs could develop.

“Depending upon what lines were located (at the plant ) and how the growth went, it could be somewhere between 300 and 500 people,” Kah said.
    Kah went on to say that Ruger expects to make a decision in about two months.
    Complete article at: *http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com...-firearms.html

(Chester County)

NC may not be more gun friendly than PA, but it certainly is more union friendly. This is purely an economic decision, and all issues affecting short and long term operating costs will be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Why should ANY firearms Manufacturer stick around in hostile territory, waiting to be slammed with nuisance lawsuits? Good on Ruger for leaving the "Eastern Bloc" as some of my friends from out west call us.
    Ruger's headquarters is in Connecticut, and they have no plan to move that. Their manufacturing is in New Hampshire and Arizona, both more gun friendly than either North Carolina or Pennsylvania. Though they probably prefer a relatively gun-friendly home for the new plant, they're looking for a place that will give them the most "incentives." It looks like Texas is a strong contender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast